Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a sad story . The Pastor retrieved his gun and pointed at the suspect, but did nothing more . The suspect took the gun away from him and shot him and wounded another. The question is what should he have done ?? Brandishing a gun at at a criminal is foolish unless you're willing to use it if he comes for you. How many times have you read where some guy held up a store , and the robber shot and the owner shot back and no one was hit, yet they were 5 feet apart !! Lesson learned, criminals can spot fear in your eyes and voice . Don't draw down on someone unless you mean to use it !! You could end up dead from your own gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
When I was given a gun in the govt ,many years ago....I went to a course on using it (per departmental policy) ........part of the course was not having the gun grabbed from your hand ......not as easy as the CC guys seem to think.......in fact,of a class of around 30 ,not one avoided having the loaded blank firing pistol grabbed from them multiple times ,and not one managed to fire the blank in it......Some of the guys ,it was like a 3 stooges act .....the gun grabbed ,handed back ,grabbed ,handed back,grabbed ,face slapped ,blank fired,youre dead....next! ...

·
Registered
546 Posts
You have to make your decision before the attacker is close enough to disarm you.

If someone advances while at gunpoint it's a pretty good indication that they will not stop until they get their hands on you - which obviously is too late.

Holding in a retention position, rather than at arms-length, might have changed the outcome - but you need to mentally be able to fire if necessary.

In this case, confronting someone in a bathroom is going to make you vulnerable. Better to retreat and call law enforcement if you are not directly in danger.

·
Silver Bullet member
911 Posts
My dad was clearing houses in Germany during the war, big german guy was coming down the stairs at him. Dad pointed his captured hipower at him, told him to freeze. Guy took the pistol from him in a second, reversed it, handed it back and said please don’t point that at me.
Have always remembered that, from both sides. Easy to be disarmed, easy to disarm someone within arms reach.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
One of the key points that I drill on when asked to teach someone to shoot, because I "know all about guns".
Doesn't happen as often as it used to because word does get around.
Nine times out of ten I found that if the primary interest was for self protection the person figured that just showing a firearm was going to be enough.
Most of these folks were terrified of guns to begin with so, there for, everyone was terrified as well.
Almost universally, none of them could wrap their head around the idea that not everyone was afraid.
I generally sent them on down the road with the suggestion to seek courses at bonafied schools that teach this stuff.
I already know that I cannot change their mindset and have no wish to accept the responsibility for what I would consider a poor outcome.

·
Registered
546 Posts
One of the key points that I drill on when asked to teach someone to shoot, because I "know all about guns".
Doesn't happen as often as it used to because word does get around.
Nine times out of ten I found that if the primary interest was for self protection the person figured that just showing a firearm was going to be enough.
Most of these folks were terrified of guns to begin with so, there for, everyone was terrified as well.
Almost universally, none of them could wrap their head around the idea that not everyone was afraid.
I generally sent them on down the road with the suggestion to seek courses at bonafied schools that teach this stuff.
I already know that I cannot change their mindset and have no wish to accept the responsibility for what I would consider a poor outcome.
That is commonly used to persuade people unfamiliar with guns that they don't actually need to know how to properly use a firearm, and just having it to brandish is enough to send a perp fleeing.

Might work...might not...but I wouldn't count on it.

About as useful as "...just fire a couple blasts from a double-barrel shotgun into the air and the attackers will leave" - Joe Biden.

That, and counting on a one-shot-stop from a pistol round.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Very, very sad. But my exact issue with folks claiming that a long gun makes a viable home defense weapon. Yes, to hole up in a safe room with your family while you wait for the cavalry to arrive, but not to go wandering around your house trying to ‘clear’ it. Give me a tactical light and a short bbl revolver any day.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
now, if a guy is brazen or crazy enough that he can take away a gun that is being pointed on him, what's that say about all those wannabe Wyatt Earps' out there who strap on a gun and diddle bop down the street acting like they are all that and little?

answer; they are easy target for someone to come up behind them, bash him in the head and take away their gun

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
now, if a guy is brazen or crazy enough that he can take away a gun that is being pointed on him, what's that say about all those wannabe Wyatt Earps' out there who strap on a gun and diddle bop down the street acting like they are all that and little?

answer; they are easy target for someone to come up behind them, bash him in the head and take away their gun
I've actually been trained to do exactly that. ( a while back). Its more psychology than science.
The attacker (if untrained) assumes hes God-like & invulnerable because "he has a gun". You use that against him.
Please, oh pretty puh-lease, come up so close I can feel your body behind me. Then jam the muzzle into a body part.
I now have you, you just don't know it. You'd be WAY better backing off 7~9'. You really would "have me on ice".
as it is I have a decent chance of disarming you simply because you are utterly unprepared because you have the "mightay GUN".
They'll fix your broken, & probably disjointed, trigger finger. But I don't think theres a lot they can do for where I stomped you nut-sack into oblivion as I took it.
Risky? Not if you fake the muzzle into pointing away from you at you first.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
74,962 Posts

So, it is best to have the pistol concealed. If not, then watch who is behind you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I was given a gun in the govt ,many years ago....I went to a course on using it (per departmental policy) ........part of the course was not having the gun grabbed from your hand ......not as easy as the CC guys seem to think.......in fact,of a class of around 30 ,not one avoided having the loaded blank firing pistol grabbed from them multiple times ,and not one managed to fire the blank in it......Some of the guys ,it was like a 3 stooges act .....the gun grabbed ,handed back ,grabbed ,handed back,grabbed ,face slapped ,blank fired,youre dead....next! ...
That’s an interesting experience. Hopefully the instructors also taught the students retention techniques and didn’t just keep grabbing their gun and slapping them. Can you share what you learned from that course about retaining your weapon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
546 Posts

That happened to a couple guys strolling down a busy local pedestrian area with holstered pistols and slung ARs. Homeless mentally unstable guy, known by police, strolled up behind one of the guys and jerked the pistol out of the holster and pointed it at him. Luckily for all involved no shots were fired.

When making a "statement" like that you are just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I guess that for someone that is afraid of guns and knows that they probably couldn't shoot someone but carries one with the thought that just showing it or pointing it at a criminal with the hope that that will be enough to scare the criminal off, should probably not have it loaded or maybe load it with blanks so that it may actually act as a deterrent but not be able to be used against themselves.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
I have a true story about that.
Friend of mine got to rent an apartment over a gunsmith shop in PA. Mostly so he'd qualify for a CCW. He was a running joke in all honesty, a complete slob.
He had a S&W model 37 in .357 & had all sorts of oddball ammo for it. If it was "weird" he'd by it! Shot-shells, flares, AP anything. He'd dump them all into the top drawer of a bedside table all higgldy-piggledy.
Well one night he hears someone rummaging about breaking in so he calls 9-1-1 & loads up his nickle-plated engraved "Puerto Rican Liqour Store Gun" & waits in the dark.
Big dark dude comes into the room & he fires.
Cops have been called & are on the way. When they arrive there he is shaking like a leaf & theres the HUGE guy curled up in the fetal position actually crying!
He's begging the cops to take him to the hospital because hes dying from a gunshot wound to the chest.
They have a medic (who also cam from the ambulance the dispatcher included in the call) check him out. He has a small burn in the center of his chest, nothing else.
It turns out the gun was loaded with 5 flares & a shotshell.
But the big guy is convinced when he saw "the huge ball of fire coming at him" he'd been hit with "A rocket launcher"!
I think the cops are still laughing about that one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.