Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up this Greener SMRC 22. The pics are from before it was cleaned up a little and it looks a whole lot better now.

The trigger had a little problem being dangerously light. Found two easily fixed problems.
1. the quick loader prevented the cocking indicator from going fully back when tightened down.
2. The trigger spring seemed weak and wasn't pushing the trigger back far enough to get a decent perch on the tumbler sear.

A little file work took care of the quick loader problem, but to get the trigger to fall back full travel I needed to tweak the spring a tad.
It's working fine now and doesn't discharge when giving the rifle a sharp rap with the palm of my hand. The trigger is now very crisp for target work. However, I know I'm going to need a new trigger spring at the very least since it's obviously tired. (maybe a trigger and tumbler someday as those have been previously stoned)

Q: Where might I find a fresh trigger return spring? Marstar is sold out and Dyson is asking 15 GBP & S&H which makes it a wee bit expensive in USD.
I'll also need a trigger axis screw since I noticed the threads are partially stripped on the screw itself. The TG itself looks OK though.

Any leads on parts will be most appreciated.

TIA,

JB

·
Registered
425 Posts
Why not make a trigger spring. It doesn't have to be a flat spring. I had a rifle that had a piece of round spring wire with a loop under the screw and cut to proper lenght and work great.
Mike

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,

Making a spring had crossed my mind as I believe the existing spring might be 'homemade'. There is no countersink for the screwhead, it lacks the nib on the end where it engages the trigger, and the edges appear to be roughly filed. I can't be certain though since my MH experience is sorely lacking. (I might know just enough to get myself into trouble :) )
I always prefer to use a direct replacement whenever possible, but I suppose I could fashion something simiar if need be.

Now I regret trading off a spare HRB action two years ago. I could have used those internals and be done with it. Oh well, too late to fret about that now.

Cheers,

JB

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
I would think a wire spring would be an option. Go to any hobby shop and pick up a length of music wire. Dirt cheap and long enough that you can do a number of experiments to get the right shape. (Comes in different diameters.)

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello John,

Thanks for the tip on the music wire. That's something to keep in mind.
I found a source for easily affordable, pre-drilled flat springs. All I'll need to do it file it offset to fit the triggerguard.
Thinking I'll go that route first and see what happens as that's closer to 'original'.

Thanks again,

JB

·
Copper Bullet member
2,455 Posts
JB

I have made a lot of flat springs out of used saw blades even new blades when I couldn't find the right thickness , some of them have holes already in them such as a hack saw blade's.
cut to shape
heat to bright cherry red while bending
then follow these instructions
this is on page 174 of DIXIE gun works catalog no. 155

NORM

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Norm.

I have an old lock that needs a flat spring. If I get a hacksaw blade to work on that, I might give it a try on the Martini.
Have you ever used a jigsaw blade for such a purpose?

·
Copper Bullet member
2,455 Posts
JB White
yes
Most all saw blades are made of spring steel that I have found ,the grain runs length ways , just remember ,to bend it the metal needs to be bright cherry red at the place you want to bend it at and bend it slowly, after all the grinding and cutting and bending is done ,then harden it, then temper it

you can also retemper old springs this way too

NORM

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would think a jig saw blade would be to thick. I do seem to break them real easy.
Mike

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've broken them when in a hurry and try to make a hard turn without a relief. The blade heats up and *snap*. Bosch blades seem more forgiving in that respect than other brands.

It occured to me after a bit of thought (which really hurts sometimes) that a section of a mag follower spring might work on a Martini trigger. I may still have a broken one around here....somewhere...

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Norm,

I haven't tried a snip of follower spring yet. I wanted to give spring making a go first when I had the chance. Finally tried it today.
It's going to take a bit more practice before I get one that I'll trust in a firearm, but I did manage to make one function in an old door latch. So, the excercise wasn't in vain.

Thanks for the tip.

JB

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've found the attached poster very useful in drawing temper. Use the right hand column as a colour guide. Where I come from we use degrees centigrade, but if you wish to think in farenheit you can convert either way usung the formula 9C= 5(F-32). We call the correct colour for drawing temper "Peacock" which speaks for itself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts