Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Series 0, wartime (1943) 08 Star Model B. It was purchased as a Russian Capture and from the markings, date, my research, and serial # it actually appears to be a German contract handgun.
So...the bad news! It is in very good condition and shoots well however I ran into a problem that has gotten worse. The magazine release button and catch are worn to where the threads on the magazine release button screw do not engage the threads on the latch very well. The female threads on the latch are somewhat spalled from when it was armory serviced.
I have scoured the internet for model B parts however any parts I did find were for later Model B's and were different and would not work. I will probably order a Helicoil Kit and drill, tap, and install a 3mmX.5 helicoil in the latch so the magazine release is secure. It will take away from the originality of the pistol however I have to weigh that with what good is a pistol that doesn't work?
The good news is I have found a temporary fix which allows me to shoot the pistol and not alter it permanently.
I went to the local Ace Hardware and bought three 3mmX.5 socket head (takes an allen wrench) screws and a nut and washer. The washer was not needed and wouldn't work. I selected a screw that would screw into and out approx. 1/8" of the outside of the magazine latch. I used the original latch and spring however the socket head of the screw became my new (temporary) mag release button. I put the 3mmX.5 nut on the threads of the screw that extended past the outside surface of the mag catch as insurance in case the mag catch threads would not hold the socket head screw. The nut screwed up flush with the end of the screw. My only bummer is I could not find the socket head screw and nut in a black finish. The store only had them in stainless. The 3mm nut is small enough not to rub on my fingers and the socket head is maybe 1.5mm less in diameter that the original mag release button.
Again this is not a permanent fix however it will allow the pistol to function and be used until I find parts or buy the helicoil kit ($123.00 Yikes) to repair the latch. I am positive the threads on the original release button screw are in good enough condition that when I repair the latch, it will tighten up properly and I will be back to all original stuff (except for the helicoil). I don't plan on selling the pistol but I do appreciate it as a piece of history the details of which I will never know.
Most of my historical surplus I shoot because that is what they were meant to do and a semi-auto with no magazine release and catch is basically a single shot.
If any of ya'll know of a place that may have a good selection of Model B parts, let me know. As you all know, the downside of having a unique production gun is the difficulty in finding parts. I may have to buy a parts gun which probably isn't a bad idea.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
I believe you noted you have a pistol with the early style mag release.....oval slot on right side ( not key hole) and the button is smooth, not checkered . Unfortunately I gave every part of such a pistol away to various persons in need, the last receiving stripped slide and frame. I thought I may have the release left, found several for S pistols but none for a B.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, thanks a whole lot for looking I really do appreciate that. And you're correct it is the smooth button with the oval release on the right side. I have a buddy that's currently serving in Afghanistan who comes across all kinds of weapons there and he's going to look 4 any Star pistols. He's a weapons armor and knows his stuff about Military Arms and arms history so hopefully he'll find the right parts(y).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.