Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time back I purchased an 09 Argy Mauser. It was described by the seller as "blued" but turned out to be Parkerized (such are the dangers of buying guns on GB). It is matching, except for the bolt, which has an Argentine symbol, but no serial on it.

I've been told that the bolt was probably replaced during a re-arsenal. I've also heard that 09's were sometimes blued during re-arsenal. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with Argy's being parked during re-arsenal?

·
Gold Bullet member
2,597 Posts
IMO and AFAIK there were no parkerizing treatments for rearsenaled 1909's in the argentine army's arsenals

·
Registered
182 Posts
I picked up a 1909 a while back and it too was parked. If I remember right, I asked about it on the boards and the conclusion was that it was rearsenaled so now I am confused.....

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
E block 1909 Argentine

Here are some pictures of a rifle from your letter block that is as issued. I don't believe I know of an Argentine parkerized rifle that was done in refurb in Argentina. I have seen rebuilds, but always blued. JH

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
CalFed,
Is your rifle marked with an importer's name? If so, who was it?
Regards,
John

·
8,094 Posts
Back in the early 1990s I was able to examine 2 shipments of 20 each 1909 Argentine rifles (marked with Century important marks and in their Century boxes) and most of them were parkerized though some retained their original, somewhat worn, blued finish. At the time it was thought by Mauser collectors that the parkerizing was an Argentine arsenal job. As far as I know that still holds true, the work was well done. Also, of the 40 that I looked at, all were matching numbered. I bought 2, one blue and one parked, $75 each. A lot of money for what was considered a common rifle at the time. Those were the days and Roses was "the" place. Anyway, I think that the parkerized finish was arsenal done in Argentina during refurb.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I finally got to shoot it yesterday--it seems like a good shooter. Factory Norma 150 grain SP's @ 100 yards

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just wondering if there's any way to carefully buff the finish off and bring the white back?
I agree with Alex, I don't think that it is practical to remove the parkerizing. That being said, I wish there was a way, because IMO, those "in the white" Argy rifles are some of the prettiest guns I've seen.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, stuff happens... Car99, I don't think parkerized finishes come off so easily. If it was blued, it would be another story... However, they did a very good job, unlike a Persian Mauser I had, which was parkerized. I am not sure who did that job, but it was a very sloppy job. Anyhow, if it's matching, then it should still be worth a lot of change =) it's just that the polished steel look is more appealing.

Alex
I agree, there is still a possibility that the parkerizing was done by the Argentines. If it was, then this is still a "correct" rifle.

This was my first Argentine mauser and I was a little disappointed in the finish when I got it. Later I had an opportunity to acquire a couple still "in the white". They are certainly prettier than this one, but they don't shoot any better.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Parkerizing can be chemically stripped. Its not a very good thing to do though because the surface was blasted with some sort of abrasive prior to parking. That means that even if you remove the phosphated finish you still have a rough surface that would need a lot of work to get it proper. You are better off leaving it as is. It may have been done by the arsenal or by some shop prior to shipping off to the yanks. Either way its still a part of the guns history and there is no need to hide it. If you want one of the original 09's in the white find one that is that way....you'll never be able to return one of these to that condition for anywhere near what a proper one would cost.

Frank

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts