Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm very new to the board and I recently bought a Parker Hale Safari rifle from an estate sale here in Canada. I did not know much about the make or the rifle before I purchased it, I thought it looked great and liked the action. So far, it's a nice little shooter, very happy with the purchase. Hoping to use it as my bush/bear gun.

I have surmised what I could from the many posts regarding these guns and the useful information by many of the British Gun Pub users which I am grateful for. However, I'm at a loss on anything more or specific on my particular gun.

I'm trying to figure out the exact age of the gun, model other than Safari and what make the Mauser action is? (i.e. is it German, Belgian, Czech or Spanish etc.)

Here is what I've been told about the gun (whether accurate or not, I do not know!): It was a custom rifle built in Birmingham, England with a Parker Hale barrel and a M98 Mauser action. It says "Safari" on the left side barrel with the typical BNP stamps from PH on the barrel. I do not know what the "Private View Mark" is. It must be under the barrel covered by the stock.

- 30/06
- 22" barrel length
- Large ring action, 8.75" long action length
- Serial is Z-317XX

My uneducated guess is that its late 60s or 70s? The gentleman who had it before me owned it at least +30 but most likely many more years. I attached some pictures below, if you need anything more, just ask.

(Note: There's what appears to be three initials at the rear of the action on the top of the stock. It's in the wood stock and looks to me like "ECH" ???)

Thanks in advance for any details!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick follow up: would the gun above be considered a Model 1000 since I believe it is simply a Safari Standard? From what I can tell from other posts by Brithunter, they moved to model numbers later in the mid-70s. So does that mean the provenance of this gun might be safely said to be prior to that, say 1960s?

Also, since the "Private View Mark" is unknown to me under the stock, would I be crazy for thinking that maybe what appears to be "ECH" on the top of the stock (see pic 5 of 7) might be someone's attempt at showing the proof date in an easier location? Grasping for straws here but thought I'd ask.

The Bolt handle has "BNP" stamped on it (pic 2 of 7). This has me thinking that the action was made in Birmingham as well, thus not a continental European made action?

Someone might need to set me straight on this rifle and it would be greatly appreciated!! thx.

·
Silver Bullet member
5,580 Posts
The crossed sceptre proof stamps - probably concealed under the wood - have a cypher code in the spaces between the 'X'. If you can post us a picture of THAT, we can at least date it.

tac

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
The PH safari rifles used receivers from several different countries...your one is almost certainly commercial Spanish,as it does not have the thumb slot for loading with stripper clips.The earlier ones were actual military receivers (probably FN,Czech etc),but made into sporters by Parker hale.I was fondling one yesterday,an old one with the military receiver in .243....very nice rifles for a working man on a budget,vastly better quality than most new 'cheap' bolt action sporters.

·
Silver Bullet member
5,580 Posts
Hmmm, v. odd. I just posted a response but it has disappeared.

Anyhow, here it is again - best read it quickly before THAT goes, too.

Many of P-H Mauser-style actions were made in the former Yugoslavia by the state arsenal. They are very fine actions, too, much-used by a number of custom builders over the years.

tac

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
While they used different makes of actions (especially for the very early models) the vast majority of Parker-Hale 1000/1100 and 1200, and M-8X were made using Santa Barbara actions. Removing the action and looking at the rear left side tang usually shows a fainted "SPAIN" stamp (in a grinded area) though Interarms extensively used Mark X (Zastava) actions for their Churchill and Withworth Mausers.

The OP rifle seems to be a 1000 Deluxe. As per already stated by Tac, the letters / numbers around the "X" in the proof mark location will give a date code. P-H made different versions of their 1000/1100 over the years from about 196ish to at least 1984.

·
Silver Bullet member
53,003 Posts
I have the safari delux ...Mauser action ....many stories have surfaced....and back in the 1980's I wrote the factory...they them selves could not give any info. On the action it's self....records Esther lost misplaced or never converted to computer or inventoried?

Facts spoken about .....cashes of military mausers from all countries in good condition stored in bunkers tunnels below ground during ww2 ....when Parker hale moved bought the properties they got all in the deal....
.(hear say I have. Never seen this in print.)

Fact: my gun 308 Mauser action, left thumb cut out for loading ease, wing safety, elevated on a solid block Lyman type sight.....I believe my gun is FM Belgian 300 (one key cut for ejector in receiver ring) action....
some light proofs give me that impression! Like on Husquvarna near the same periods using FM,actions.

the stock made / stamped Sile under barrel in wood channel Italian company, snobble...reddish color, straight grain of little figure...light weight!
Cost then $ $ 73.50 in England USA $124.95..
Cal's 243,270,3006,308 win. 308 Norma mag.

Fact: Buxtons guide pg 223 to 223 "foreign firearms " printed in 1963 out of print but you can find it on net for about $20 used.

I'm afraid to say the standard grade doesn't have the rear sight on your gun by the pictures...
Leading me to think yours is of later than 1963, commercial action more on the 400 series style ...
may be Santa Barbra of Spain type action...?
With no thumb cut, cheaper basic sights, sliding safety....replacing the wing. Gold trigger...

My gun currently has XX fancy wood, mark X trigger guard bottom metal with button take down...
all up graded by my decreased gun smith and friend Donny Valley Oceania WVa...
bringing up weight from almost 6 lbs to about two extra lbs..
Get a magnifying glass go over it slowly under the action and report back! Dan

·
Silver Bullet member
53,003 Posts
From memory along while back....they were imported from Italy or the wood?..by Sile ...the research I read at that time lead me to believe they came to England for Parker hale ...
Didn't know the added later info...thanks!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Huron,

Your only chance to know the year of manufacture is to find this below, which is, on older guns, on the side of the barrel and the newer Under the wood line, still on the barrel.

Dan,
Just remove the action from the stock and look under it. A vast majority of those I had / have, took apart and looked at were Spanish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First things first, thanks for the detailed info from each of you.

I must also apologize for my ignorance for not realizing it is very simple to remove stock from barrel. The proof is in the album but hard to confirm with certainty. Is is R/2/5? F/2/B? or a combination? Its hard to get an accurate picture as the stamp looks like it was overlapped or something despite using a magnifier.

Bribal - thank you, your were correct in that this action is Spanish and the Santa Barbara type as I found "Spain" grinded out on the tang as you said.

DK Philips - I attached a closer rear sight picture. The stock is indeed Sile.

The floor plate is aluminum and stamped with PH as well as the trigger.

What does all this add up too? sincerely, thx for the help.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
53,003 Posts
Baribal,,,,the Spanish actions didn't have thumb cut outs on the left side of the receiver rail??

my gun has no Spanish proofs marks....faint marks that look like Belgium from my memory!

I would take it out of stock but It's sighted in for two hundred yards ..
I'm afraid to change hits on target...by not being able to return to to repeated harmonics...reassembling
Range is closed ....now since 2001 flood 20 months apart...100 year floods!

·
Silver Bullet member
53,003 Posts
Huron thats it Sile just as my old memory remembered it....
The grounded off area my have spelled SpaiN ...?
I recall that the m1 carbines made by IMI had Spain grounded off too....in same manner...

There isn't any grounded areas on my gun but heavenly polished and shinny black chrome blue...

The guns used at first May came from those packed full 98 in the tunnels....talked about years ago here on the boards..
Then FN...out sourced actions...my gun!
Then they settled on Spanish actions and shotguns.....in my humble opinion.....
Theory until facts are presented.....dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From the Hallwell & Co Proof Date site, it appears that the stamp would be R/2/B dating the gun to 1966 according to their schedule of Birmingham builds?

http://www.hallowellco.com/proof_date_codes.htm

DK Philips - I'm pretty sure the ground out text is "Spain" as you can clearly see the "N" and the "S" is partially visible upon closer inspection. Sometimes we just have to settle! ;-)

The action is smooth but not near as smooth as my Winchester Model 70 which leads me to think that it is a Spanish Action. Oparomines, i'm sure that Yugo is fine!

·
Silver Bullet member
5,580 Posts
Huron,

Your only chance to know the year of manufacture is to find this below, which is, on older guns, on the side of the barrel and the newer Under the wood line, still on the barrel.

View attachment 773748

Dan,
Just remove the action from the stock and look under it. A vast majority of those I had / have, took apart and looked at were Spanish.
As recommended in post #3. :thumbsup:

tac

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Dan,
As I said, the very early rifles were made on (what may be) various ex-military actions, a lot of them having evidence of FN manufacture and usually more "utility" grade, but they settled on the S-B actions quite early (at the beginning on their more "luxury" models) as this example shows, as 1966 is not long after they've been up and running in their own Sparkbrook location.

TAC,
I explained it in post #6 (referencing your #3) but I ended up thingking an image was worth 1000 words :)

·
Silver Bullet member
5,580 Posts
Dan,
As I said, the very early rifles were made on (what may be) various ex-military actions, a lot of them having evidence of FN manufacture and usually more "utility" grade, but they settled on the S-B actions quite early (at the beginning on their more "luxury" models) as this example shows, as 1966 is not long after they've been up and running in their own Sparkbrook location.

TAC,
I explained it in post #6 (referencing your #3) but I ended up thingking an image was worth 1000 words :)
D'accord. :thumbsup:

tac

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Sile stocks were sold by Sile Inc which was John Jovino Co. in NYC which now is Henry Arms Co.
Sile was Jovino's trademark. It seems bizarre to me that P-H would buy the stocks from the US importer rather than go directly to the Italian maker. It is more likely that the U.S. importer of P-H got barreled actions and put on Sile stocks, something like Herters did with BSA rifles around the same time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, it was an education. I am finally putting all the pieces of information from the boards together.

I cleaned the gun up after taking it apart. I have thoughts of putting a 4x fixed powered scope on it for my woodland hunting.

Just testing which ammo it likes best.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts