Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
6,189 Posts
Yes, I saw the brochure at Tulsa too. Just one photo shot from the right side. Looks like a 2.5X scope installed but can't see details of the mount area, being on the other side. You would think that if it was for real, by the time the T-2 came around, it would have used a 4x scope. To me, it's guilty unless proven innocent on this one. RIA has been known to peddle "make-ups".

·
Silver Bullet member
15,720 Posts
99.999% sure it is a put together job; there is a slight chance it is a rare prototype, but I doubt it. Such a rifle has never been seen or mentioned before; though several people have manufactured them as curiosities. Ronin 48 has a "midget sub sniper" a shortened T2 with scope; a fantasy piece, made a couple years ago.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,281 Posts
Now, if you could find a T-99 long sniper - that would be something since they did make a few of them. Apparently, none survived :(

·
Silver Bullet member
15,720 Posts
I think the 99 longs that Adogs refers to were set up during the sniper rifle trials for accuracy comparison with the short rifle. Bottom line was the longer barrel didn't make much difference in the accuracy.

If you don't have Victor Soto's Sniper book, you should buy a copy, available from Banzai. It is full of info and a must have for your library.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,720 Posts
Ray,
didn't you mean T 2? Yes you would expect a QD sling on the T 2; but evidently not on the sniper version:).

·
Gold Bullet member
6,189 Posts
Here is an era drawing of the short and long T-99 snipers taken out of Sayama's book. The top is the T-99 long sniper that Rob refers to.

The RIA T-2 sniper looks very well done, but a check on the bolt (sniper bolt ?) and the serial number (new serial range ?) and location (on receiver bridge ?), should rout out any fakes.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,276 Posts
there is a ton of phony stuff that moves through these auctions. i watched a colt collector on "antiques road show" get told that the pistol he purchased at a well well know auction ten years ago for 8000 dollars was one of the best reproductions he had seen.

·
Registered
8,507 Posts
I like how they call it very rare or something like that but as stated before no guarantee of authenticity. Its a shame they botched up a type 2. I'd like to get a close inspection of it thats for sure.

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,273 Posts
John, the only info I've found on the T99 long sniper was in Colonel Namio Tatsumi's personal notebook. Colonel Tatsumi was on the development team for the T99 sniper. Use of the T99 long rifle configuration for sniper use was a serious consideration. Only after extensive testing was the long rifle dropped in favor of the short rifle. I've included that info in MROJ since it was an important part of the T99 sniper rifle history. Ok, that said, does Vic's book on the sniper have info beyond what I presented, or is it a repeat? Edokko, does Sayama's book have more info than what I presented? I'm really interested in this one. I did hear of a T99 long sniper traded years ago but couldn't get all the facts.

RIA does cover their butt by saying "if the paratroop sniper could ever be proven to exist" or words to that effect. It is not typical of Japanese ordnance to experiment with production rifles without additional markings on the rifle denoting the change.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,720 Posts
Edokko,
thanks for posting the line drawings, would make a great addition to the 'next' sniper book!

Big Ed,
Absolute auctions are a haven for fakers and crooks; what you see is what you get.
I'd like to see it up close too.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,189 Posts
Fred, there is not much more on Sayama's text about the two T-99 sniper rifles aside of the details on who/when the testing was done. Apparently both the long and short were used for testing purposes up to the end with the 4x scopes and both had shown equivalent performance. Sayama does not give info on why nor even mention that the long sniper was eventually dropped, but would seem probable that since the long sniper did not show any significant superiority on long range scoped performance than that of the short sniper, it must have been droppped alongwith the common T-99 long rifle. The chances of a very small quantity of T-99 Long snipers surviving, although must be very very rare, are possible.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.