Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, just wanted to post up this m1a1 and burial flag. Found the flag in a attic, don't think it's been out of the box.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for posting this. That's a neat piece of history that I did not know about. It's kind of sad that it was left behind. I would assume that it was addressed to his parents. Have you tried finding informaion on the soldier?

Regards:
whiggins

·
Gold Bullet member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for posting this. That's a neat piece of history that I did not know about. It's kind of sad that it was left behind. I would assume that it was addressed to his parents. Have you tried finding informaion on the soldier?

Regards:
whiggins
I'm embarrased to say I haven't. It was in an rental unit. I took it home and put away and forgot about it. It must have been there for awhile,'cause I didn't recognize the name.

·
Diamond Member
4,292 Posts
Richard L. Williams was born in Canada and was a machinist before entering the service. he was also married. He does not appear in the ABMC's overseas cemetery list, nor in the database on National Cemeteries in the U.S. My guess would be he was buried overseas at the time, then brought back at the family's request after the war, and buried in a community or private cemetery. Here is part of his enlistment record:
http://aad.archives.gov/aad/record-...&q=16085189&bc=,sl,sd&rpp=10&pg=1&rid=1251287

·
Diamond Member
4,292 Posts
Okay, not sure why, search must have burped on me the first time. Richard L. Williams is buried in the Philippines.
http://www.abmc.gov/search/detailwwnew.php

Not sure that link works. Here's the info from the page:
Richard L. Williams

Technician Fifth Class, U.S. Army

Service # 16085189

82nd Field Artillery Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division

Entered the Service from: Michigan
Died: 21-Feb-45
Buried at: Plot G Row 16 Grave 45
Manila American Cemetery
Manila, Philippines
Awards: Silver Star, Purple Heart

·
Gold Bullet member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Richard L. Williams was born in Canada and was a machinist before entering the service. he was also married. He does not appear in the ABMC's overseas cemetery list, nor in the database on National Cemeteries in the U.S. My guess would be he was buried overseas at the time, then brought back at the family's request after the war, and buried in a community or private cemetery. Here is part of his enlistment record:
http://aad.archives.gov/aad/record-...&q=16085189&bc=,sl,sd&rpp=10&pg=1&rid=1251287
Thank you tplan, that was extreamly nice of you to do this and I really appreciate it.

·
Gold Bullet member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tplan, any ideas on how to find this soldier's family? I like to see they get it back.

·
Diamond Member
4,292 Posts
tplan, any ideas on how to find this soldier's family? I like to see they get it back.
If you're in Florida & looking for a family in Michigan, I'd try genealogy resources online first, someplace like ancestry.com. See if you can find someone who has done a family tree involving John & Richard Williams, and that may give you some descendants. I don't know if the 1940 census is online yet or not; it should become public this year. That would give you some of his family group before he joined. good luck & thanks for showing this to us. I like the carbine, too.

John

·
Registered
749 Posts
You might also try posting link on the Canadian based milsurps.com forum on the chance that some of the family either stayed behind or returned to Canada. Its a helpful group and some of their members may be versed on geneological resources in Canada. The date of immigration might be a clue.

Regards,

Jim

·
Diamond Member
4,292 Posts
Was just thinking about this flag. I don't know if you've been able to find more about his family, but I just found this on Richard Williams:

Attachments

·
Registered
849 Posts
to tplan: Wow! Thanks for sharing the history.

·
Gold Bullet member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An update and a big thank you out to tplan for his effort and time in connecting me with Richard Williams's niece. When I get a mailing address, I will be reuniting the flag with Richards family as that is where it belongs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts