Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, here is a thread for the proper discussion of Paper Patching the 9.3x57, 9.3x62, 9.3x54r or any other 9.3mm boolit.

Paper Patching is a good way to create some excellemt hunting bullets. I know very little about lead casting having only worked with larger muzzleloading bullets and T/C moulds.

Smokepole50

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have never paper patched but I think I might with my 9.3x57. I have extensive experience (nearly 30 years) in cast bullet rifle shooting and think the paper patched bullets may be the way to go. The advantages are that you will need no sizing or lubricating equipment: Just roll, dry, water-proof and shoot. There does seem to be a requirement that the paper jacket be seated into the rifling though so shooting .35 caliber bullets that are very light (short) might be a problem. Waterproofing of paper jacketed bullets has been done forever, it seems. The method described in "The Paper Jacket" by Matthews states that bullets should be put into a wire rack and "cooked" for 15 minutes in melted bees wax over a double boiler. This amount of time allows the bullets to come up to heat and prevents the wax from gooping up on the cold bullets. After 15 minutes, the rack is withdrawn, given a shake to remove excess wax, and then the bullets tossed onto a pile of paper towels that will finish the wax removal process. The author states that this will waterproof the patch and make it suitable for damp/wet weather use. Wax in itself, is a poor lubricant so it is only for water proofing.

The NRA publications recommend that a shot of spray Teflon aids in seating and sizing, if necessary. I wonder what it's value as a "lube" is.

It's an interesting topic. I hope some folks with experience will jump on in and toss out some pointers...~Andy

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The 9.3 caliber is a fortunate one for the American shooter, as a regular .358 bullet should serve well as the basis for a PP bullet for the 9.3. Slug your bores first though, as two of mine go .366/.367 and .369. Obviously a PP bullet that works in one might not work in the other.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
The old 38 semi-wadcutters I have patched with some tediousness are fairly consistent.
The paper is the 9#, 100% cotton, onion skin from Buffalo.
Bullets:
swaged 158 grain semi-wadcutter avg:
158g +/- .5g
.358"dia.

Patched two layers, folded on base avg:
159g
.367¨

These will match the .366¨ - 367¨ iron site M46. I worry about the jump to the rifling. Even seated way out accuracy may be lacking. I chose to fold the base as I kept tearing paper when twisting and there is no hollow to tuck the tail in. They dry pretty flat if stood on end. I chose SPG to smear on to ease seating as an expedient.
Iĺl check the bore after each shot to ensure paper is not left in it.
Rifle bullets of 250g or longer would be a better choice for this.
Muzzleloader season ends the 27th, can use the range after that. Chrony has a new Duracell.
D

·
Registered
537 Posts
I found a 180 grain (notes say it casts 186 before gascheck) RCBS mold in my "Stuff" that I will get to casting for asap. Off for surgery on halloween and will have 6 weeks of recoup time. Hope I can cast from crutches! Awaiting your report! ~Andy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts