Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,667 Posts
Did you read why you can see them now?

That building must have a substantial floor! Great photos.
Presume the fix was done before i got on the thread - but from the first time i opened it the piccies were present. The old iron is in much better condition than most of the stuff Aberdeen had when i was there 9first in 1966, then in the early '70s).

·
100,667 Posts
D9on't they have one of the monster German railway guns at Kubinka? Can't recall if it is a 54 or 60cm, or possibly even the 80cm, though i think that was scrapped at the end of the war.

·
100,667 Posts
Hi Clyde,

There was no sign of any railway gun or the monster mortars at Kubinka that I saw. Im pretty sure the Gustav railway gun never lasted the war although I believe there were some or one spare barrel(s) found for it. The thor 60cm mortar may have survived but wasnt at Kubinka or any of the places I went in Russia. There was an armoured train but no rail guns. Ill post some more pics of some of the Soviet hardware.......lots of T-34 76 and 85 along with IS and KV tanks. Place was a bit difficult to find but well worth the trip. Took about an hour to get from Moscow. Metro to the train station then a bus from train station to the museum. There is a military base nearby so they check all your papers when you come to the museum and you can hear them firing cannons off in the background. I also went to the Great Patriotic War Museum, Central Armed Forces Museum, and visited Volgograd (modern day Stalingrad). Lots of history there with Pavlov's house, the flour mill, and the Red October factories etc etc.....i can post many more pics if people are interested.
Well, i am, and i expect many others.

·
100,667 Posts
This was testing against the side armor, notice the 82mm mark above the guy in the center for 82mm thickness.

I seen this picture before but have no idea on the location or time.
So proving ground test. Still looks like AP shot, not sure of size, but LOOKS about right for a 100mm (on further consideration, looks a bit larger than an 85mm when considered next to the people). A bit small, I think, for a 122mm.

·
100,667 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.