Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this sub’s been full of these lately but mine have just arrived and I wanted to share. Also had a few questions

I ordered one “very good” 7.62x53r and one “excellent” 7.62x54r. I can say the VG seems nicer than the excellent, there’s a scribbled out “X” on the tag which makes me think it was graded excellent then downgraded. Possibly the stock compression or missing cleaning rod?

Anyhow, the VG/53r is a 1934, SN 38299. Near perfect bluing, nice bore, muzzle gauges “0” and bore slugs to .3085. I took this one apart because it was fairly dirty/greasy. There were a number of shims in the stock, I left them undisturbed. I presume hand loading .308’s is the move for this one, any suggestions on a bullet or grain weight?

The Ex/54r is a 1938, D-marked, SN 53648. Also a very nice bore, gauges zero and slugs to .310. The handguard on this one is fairly loose and the barrel is completely free floating. I’m reluctant to disassemble this one until I shoot it in case any of this was intentional.

Musical instrument Wood Wind instrument Musical instrument accessory Natural material

Musical instrument Wood Wind instrument Natural material Musical instrument accessory

1934 Rifle:
Wood Publication Font Natural material Wood stain

Wood Rectangle Tool Gas Tints and shades

Wood Trigger Shotgun Natural material Air gun

Helmet Wood Gas Door Circle

Door Wood Household hardware Handle Gas

Wood Writing implement Office supplies Font Handwriting

·
Gold Bullet member
12,934 Posts
Very nice! Congrats!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Red1917 - I’ll give the 175’s a shot. I take it they like heavier bullets, I may try to grab some Lapua D-46 bullets from Grafs. Expensive though, ouch.

1Nando - I can’t make any claims to the veracity of this info but it was posted in another thread that a “prominent Finnish collector liquidated a 20,000 piece collection.” I don’t know that there’s a lot of rocks left to look under out there but when something like this comes up, century certainly has the means to move those quantities.
EDIT - Thanks to more knowledgeable insiders for the correction, the above info is FALSE

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Haha, thank you guys for the clarification! I’m glad I put a disclaimer in there. It’s possible that it was posted as 2000 and I’m the inadvertent embellisher! I should have dug the source before opening my mouth

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
1934 Rifle:
It's a privately funded rifle from Swedish-speaking Sjundeå (FI: Siuntio) Civil Guard.

1938 rifle:
It's a rifle from Sippola Civil Guard.

1Nando - I can’t make any claims to the veracity of this info but it was posted in another thread that a “prominent Finnish collector liquidated a 20,000 piece collection.” I don’t know that there’s a lot of rocks left to look under out there but when something like this comes up, century certainly has the means to move those quantities.
EDIT - Thanks to more knowledgeable insiders for the correction, the above info is FALSE
It was absolutely NOT a "20,000 piece collection".
These came from a private museum outside Helsinki and there were just over a thousand Mosins total.
The only private collection with that many firearms in Finland is the Finnish Arms Museum Foundation (Suomen asemuseosäätiö) at Hyvinkää, Finland.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
It was absolutely NOT a "20,000 piece collection".

These came from a private museum outside Helsinki and there were just over a thousand Mosins total.
The story is getting taller and taller with every day that passes.
I heard that the US Government bought up 18K of these rifles before Putin could get his hands on them as he conquers Europe. After the US bought them the Supreme Court ruled the Constitution is still in effect and that made the US transfer all guns to WUPS (pronounced Whoops) where they "seized and destroyed" all 18K rifles because they were linked to the "white ghost", which clearly made them "ghost guns." After they were destroyed the US learned that these guns were linked to the "white death" not the "white ghost" which clearly makes them racist even if they are not scary like a ghost. I heard all this from a third party whose cousin worked for the Secret Service in 1986, so it's 100% true! 😱😇😂🤣

PS- CVD this in no way was directed at you. Just having a little fun!

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,763 Posts
I heard that the US Government bought up 18K of these rifles before Putin could get his hands on them as he conquers Europe. After the US bought them the Supreme Court ruled the Constitution is still in effect and that made the US transfer all guns to WUPS (pronounced Whoops) where they "seized and destroyed" all 18K rifles because they were linked to the "white ghost", which clearly made them "ghost guns." After they were destroyed the US learned that these guns were linked to the "white death" not the "white ghost" which clearly makes them racist even if they are not scary like a ghost. I heard all this from a third party whose cousin worked for the Secret Service in 1986, so it's 100% true! 😱😇😂🤣

PS- CVD this in no way was directed at you. Just having a little fun!
I heard that Tim the Enchanter, Whoopie Goldberg and Harrison Ford(current age but dressed up as Indiana Jones) beat the Nazis(also current age and super geriatric) to these rifles in an ancient Finnish pyramid.. Along with 40,000+ mint never issued M28s they also found 5000 28/30 bayonets and four crates of gold. They then loaded these onto an armored train for transport under the Atlantic on the secret transatlantic sea tube to the US. Chris Pratt and the raptors from Jurassic World provided the security.

Just giving out this intel I'm risking everything so it should go without saying you did not hear this from me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
D46 are definitely good, but like you said expensive. I have a ton of the LC 173s so it made sense to build a load around those.

A while ago I did replicate the original D46 load as described in the 28-30 manual that someone posted here, using Lapua cases and Vihtavuori powder, let me know if you’re interested in the recipe

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would love to have that info! Although I must admit, I’ve kept a sharp eye out since I started reloading almost 2 years ago and have not spotted any VV140. I do have 100 Lapua cases that I plan to use exclusively for 53r. For powder I have a variety of IMR but nothing else.

·
Registered
545 Posts
D46 are definitely good, but like you said expensive. I have a ton of the LC 173s so it made sense to build a load around those.

A while ago I did replicate the original D46 load as described in the 28-30 manual that someone posted here, using Lapua cases and Vihtavuori powder, let me know if you’re interested in the recipe
If don't mind sharing, I'd like copy of that info as well.

Also to OP, nice examples. That brand new replacement stock is very nice. Do any of them retain the metal collars?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts