Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Read Only
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...in different weather conditions. Then camp out using only your supplies. You'll find out PDQ what works and what doesn't. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Don't cheat yourself by only camping in good weather, either. You won't find out about your faulty tent waterproofing on a sunny spring day....:D

·
Banned
1,452 Posts
Yep a winter camping trip at least once a year is a great way to stay "up" on what skills, knowledge and equipment you'll need. If you forget somethig you'll find out real quick.

And don't forget transporting your stuff in heavy snow. You may only go a few hundred yards into the woods but a sled, snow shoes or x-country skis will make it easier and you may decide you can go where no one else dares to tread.

Good post.

·
Premium Member
4,700 Posts
I like camping year round.
Been in the "Good" and the rain for weeks on end, choked on misquitos, snowgo refused to start at 40 below , blowing snow verticly(3 days in a snow bank is boring!), blowing waves and stuck on a beach, rising river waters, extream tides and beached on a sandbar, broken snowgos and miles to walk home, bobbing in 2 foot ers, 7 miles out with a connecting rod through my brand new Honda 15hrs ........

I always went with the Patrick Mcmanus philosophy of "A Fine and Pleasant Misery".

--The worse it is more likely you are to remember it.--...... ~LOL!~ I only go with the best gear I can get.

Have fun.

·
Read Only
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most important piece of camping gear....

...resides between my ears, and underneath my hat. It keeps the boredom down too, and lets me have a pretty good time, even if I'm dug into a snowbank. Cold weather in desert country is a pain, ain't no snow banks, and burrowing into the sand is a PITA.

It's true. You really remember the gnarly times....:p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts