Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I pulled out my PA-63 yesterday after about 12 years in the cabinet. I always remembered it as having a recoil that hurt the area between my thumb and index finger. When I shot it yesterday I realized that I hadn't remembered wrong. That things hurts my hand. Now I am not a small handed or large handed person. Let's say they are just right! :) anyway, I tried a few slightly different ways of holding it but the muzzle flip just digs that frame tang or tailpiece (whatever they call that thing) into the muscle between the ole thumb and index finger.

Anyone else find that? Anyone have an answer to lessening the problem other than much lighter loads?? I am shooting some old Chinese 9X18 rounds. Green box, copper washed steel case, RNFMJ, non-corrosive, that stuff.

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
That is why PA-63 is usually a second choice, not the first choice. Solution? Buy something else, right now the best deal for something else is Czechoslovakian CZ-82 while supplies last. Or you can still find a Makarov from time to time if you look.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I was an FFL some 20 years ago I bought dozens of these things and sold them. They were around $100.00 with two matching mags, holster, cleaning rod and best of all they were in as new condition. Supposedly Hungarian Secret Police turn ins. I figure Hungary didn't have many dissidents, hence the unused condition. I bought mine for the wife but it tore her up so I gave her my Colt 1908 380 Pocket Pistol.:)

I really just keep it because I have it so long. I have 6 boxes of the Chinese ammo so that should last a lifetime with it being an unpleasant shooter. I might try shooting it with my Moto Gloves on. :D

Thanks for the comeback.

·
Silver Bullet member
421 Posts
Get the wolf spring replacement kit and that will help both the recoil and double action. 15# recoil and 9# hammer.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hey everyone,

I pulled out my PA-63 yesterday after about 12 years in the cabinet. I always remembered it as having a recoil that hurt the area between my thumb and index finger. When I shot it yesterday I realized that I hadn't remembered wrong. That things hurts my hand. Now I am not a small handed or large handed person. Let's say they are just right! :) anyway, I tried a few slightly different ways of holding it but the muzzle flip just digs that frame tang or tailpiece (whatever they call that thing) into the muscle between the ole thumb and index finger.

Anyone else find that? Anyone have an answer to lessening the problem other than much lighter loads?? I am shooting some old Chinese 9X18 rounds. Green box, copper washed steel case, RNFMJ, non-corrosive, that stuff.
See sticky thread at top of page about replacing the springs in the PA63.

-George

·
Registered
153 Posts
when i got mine, someone had butchered the recoil spring. after 2 magazines my hand was bleeding- and not from slide bite. course i finished the box. then ordered the wolff springs. LOVE IT now. so ignore my advice, by the cz someone mentioned and we wil talk lol.

Enjoy what will be a new pistol.

·
Silver Bullet member
421 Posts
Another thing you can do is take a dremel tool to all of those rough edges that contact the hand. 10-15 minutes of work and no more cuts.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I don't understand why it is that some have trouble with the recoil of the PA 63??? :eek:
I have a large hand - a Browning Hi-Power fits it perfect - and I have NO problem with the PA 63. I like it better than my PP 380!!! I have made No modifications to it and see no reason to!
My 11, now 12, yr old Niece shoots my 63 regularily and likes it, as does her older brother! :D
Course they also shoot most of my MGs occasionaly so maby they have better then average ability??????????????????????? Naah, I don't think so, they just have better than normal access! :rolleyes:
Sarge

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting. I have never been bitten by my PA-63, and my Browning HP fits me too. Maybe it is some cosmic harmony New Age wierdness. If the PA bites, balance the Karma with a Hi Power...

Ok. I'll take my meds now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I guess it's some hands are obviouly different than others. I have a Bulgie Mak and a PA-63, sure 50 rounds is not pleasant but shooting either doesn't bother me. Then again I'm an old Colt Combat Commander shooter, and a High Power shooter to. Latest fun gun is a Sig P6 which I really like. Got to thinking, carrying a PA-63 in 9mm Mak is just as good as carrying a 3" barrel 9mm Luger in some of the more popular guns, the PA-63 having a longer barrel should make up the difference in bullet speed. Spad

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
I am not a recoil sensitive wimp, although I have small hands. I hunt with a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 magnum and full power loads don't bother me. They did in my Super Blackhawk which preceded the Redhawk, but only because the SAA grip was way too big for me to get a firm grip. I could barely touch the trigger and the back of the square trigger guard whapped my fingers.

But my PA-63 really hurt like hell. Redid the grips, getting rid of the thumb rest stopped the bleeding but it still hurt. Spring change didn't help. Finally gave up and sold it.

I love my EG Makarov - very accurate and zero felt recoil.

I think the PA-63 problem is the Walther PP style grip. It looks sexy but can be a problem in larger calibers. Walthers also have a bad reputation for recoil in .380 for some people. If so, nothing will help and you'd best trade it or sell it and get something you can shoot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts