Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
First, I know my FEG isn't a Mak but this forum is most suitable for the subject.

I don't know why the put that thumbrest on the left side of the '63, but for me it was a pain, literally. It forced the web between my thumb and point up toward the spur and slide and I ALWAYS bled after running a box of ammo through the pistol. The '63 is my CCW for most situations and I like it except for the bleeding. Here is a pic of my dirty hand holding the '63 in stock configuraton:

Being sort of a cheapskate, I didn't want to spring a third of the cost of the gun for some grips. What I did instead was pour some epoxy into the left grip to fill in the thumbrest, then let sit and later sawed/filed the grip to match the right side. Photos of the epoxy in place and grip after filing:

Finally I slipped on a Hogue Universal Grip sleeve, and here is a pic of the finished project, and one of my new hand position:

The increase in comfort is pretty dramatic. The thumb being lower keeps pressure off the web, the rubber grip helps tame the snap somewhat, and.......no more blood, even after a hundred rounds. Yes it is butt ugly. but it is reversable with new grips, and it makes the gun workable for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very nice, I am looking to change the grips on my 63 as well.

One thing though- I'm sure it was unloaded, but- finger off the trigger man!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"finger off the trigger man!"

Absolutely, I cringed when I blew up that photo! Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Great modification. I've handled several PA-63's and always say "why'd they put that there?" And it's not ugly - it's functional.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You're simply holding the gun too high on the grip. Just checked mine and I have beefy hands too. This is only my opinion and I've never stayed in a Holiday Inn either.

·
Registered
345 Posts
get a grip

I hated that weird "ridge" too, and the uncomfortable way it made me hold pistol - so I ordered a set of checkered wood grips from Dennis Marschal. End of problem!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mr. Mitch, compare the before and after picts. My 3 fingers are on the grip in the same place in both. Removing the ridge simply allows the thumb to grip lower. I have tried a lower grip while shooting, to avoid the bloody issue, but that reduced control and added to the snappy recoil action, in my case.

13 Posts
Being sort of a cheapskate, I didn't want to spring a third of the cost of the gun for some grips neither did I so luckily
I scored some cheap flat grips from numrich. IIRC they were for the Femaru AP9 replacement grips they are under $16.

here are a couple of pics

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dang Junior, that woulda fit the bill!

looks like they are $28ish now, I found them in other places but not numrich. Is the femaru another walther clone?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Mr. Mitch, compare the before and after picts. My 3 fingers are on the grip in the same place in both. Removing the ridge simply allows the thumb to grip lower. I have tried a lower grip while shooting, to avoid the bloody issue, but that reduced control and added to the snappy recoil action, in my case.

I did notice that and by golly it does seem to work for you.:)
That's great!:D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yep- Bringing this old post back to the top.

I just got a set of these Femaru AP9 grips from Numrich and they are great on my PA63. Without the thumbrest that is on the original grips, the pistol doesn't "bite" me at all now.

I may get a set of Dennis's grips later, but for now these are the best $16 (plus shipping) that I have spent on this pistol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts