Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The subject of "bring-back" pistols with mismatched magazines came up. As for WWII Wehrmacht P38 pistols, were the magazines issued without regard to manufacturer during the later years of the war? I know that the earlier magazines were serial numbered to match the weapon, but later on after discontinuing the serial numbers did the military issue magazines at random? I was told that by the time the pistol and magazines made it to the Armories then the pistols were issued with two magazines "off the shelf", so any maker could have been issued with any pistol. Has anyone got any insight as to whether this is true or not?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely. Once in the field anything is possible. But no one seems to know whether the Walther mags were kept with and issued with Walther pistols, Mauser mags were kept with and issued with Mauser pistols, etc. after magazine serialization ceased. I have someone contending that magazines (and pistols) after being shipped to the various armories, were issued "off the shelf", without regard to maker. As in first issued. It is my contention that he is wrong, but with all my searching I cannot find a definitive answer.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I'll be danged. Thought for sure this would be an easy one and someone would set me straight in no time. Can it possibly be that no one knows for sure and the information is lost? That surely could not be the case.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I may get the book although this was only an incidental discussion related to my friends' and my pistols and their respective magazines. I have perused a lot of information out there regarding the matter and so far as I can tell the books all have plenty of information referencing singular magazine identification but don't have much to offer regarding procedures, logistics and issuance. Some "infer" that such and such a magazine "should" be with such and such a pistol but beyond that not much. If you can tell me that this book is an exception then I will buy it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
... so far as I can tell the books all have plenty of information referencing singular magazine identification but don't have much to offer regarding procedures regarding logistics and issuance. Some "infer" that such and such a magazine "should" be with such and such a pistol but beyond that not much. If you can tell me that this book is an exception then I will buy it.
You probably don't want a copy of the book. It all about magazine identification and, as you say, such and such magazine should be with such and such pistol.

The only information I am aware of that directly addresses your question is on page 95 of The P.38 Pistol, Vol. 2, by Warren Buxton.

"Mauser supplied no holsters, i.e. none were shipped from the factory, Holsters were a separate item issued on proper demand at the military distribution point.
One magazine was shipped in the gun, spare magazines were a separate item issued by the military, same as for the holsters."

My best guess is Walther and Spreewerk followed the practice since they were supplying the same military logistics system as Mauser. The exception would be early Walther P.38s, which were shipped from the factory with two matching numbered magazines.

So, for Mauser, and presumably Walther and Spreewerk, the primary magazine for any particular P.38 should be of the type identified in the P.38 book I referenced in my previous post or whatever other reliable reference you prefer. The extra magazine for that particular pistol could be any contemporary magazine from any of the magazine manufacturers.

Marc

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I have a cyq P.38 that has 100% matching numbers (no import stamp) with red plastic colored grip panels and what appears to have saw dust filler in the plastic. Is this common for cyq pieces ? The one mag. that came with the P.38 has a large "P.38" over a large "U" on the bottom of the left side and "jvd below an eagle stamp" on the spine. No other stamps on the mag. The finish on the P.38 looks to be 95 to 97 % and bore is mirror bright. Serial number is 40xx c. Would anyone know its approx. mfg. date ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
My July 43 e block has the same red sawdust
grips and 1 jvd mag and 1 e88 mag.

·
Registered
170 Posts
BC,
A long discussion a while back over on the P38 forum surmised that, unlike originally thought, the red grips appeared fairly early on Spreewerk pistols. The first 20,00 Spreewerk pistols (No-Letter-Series and a-block) were fitted with AEG/Walther grips that were supplied by Walther as production was ramping up. Somewhere in the b-block of Spreewerks you will start seeing Posselt grips issued exclusively with Spreewerk pistols. Spreewerk grips can be distinguished byt having only 5-broken lines around the grip screw. All other Walther/Mauser/AEG grips will have 6 broken lines around the grip screw. The reddish colored grips that appear to have sawdust mixed in with the compound then show up throughout the remainder of production. The brownish/black covered grips are somehwat more common, however, all Spreewerk grips manufactured by Julius Posselt will only have 5 broken lines around the grip screw.

The magazine for your pistol should be E/88 only stamped on the spine. You have a later war magazine.

·
Administrator
3,266 Posts
Since P38 mags weren't numbered, such as lugers, so I would imagine they were whatever was there. If I was in the field, I'd use whatever I wanted, without regard to it being matched. All I care about is something to work if I needed it.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
BC,
A long discussion a while back over on the P38 forum surmised that, unlike originally thought, the red grips appeared fairly early on Spreewerk pistols. The first 20,00 Spreewerk pistols (No-Letter-Series and a-block) were fitted with AEG/Walther grips that were supplied by Walther as production was ramping up. Somewhere in the b-block of Spreewerks you will start seeing Posselt grips issued exclusively with Spreewerk pistols. Spreewerk grips can be distinguished byt having only 5-broken lines around the grip screw. All other Walther/Mauser/AEG grips will have 6 broken lines around the grip screw. The reddish colored grips that appear to have sawdust mixed in with the compound then show up throughout the remainder of production. The brownish/black covered grips are somehwat more common, however, all Spreewerk grips manufactured by Julius Posselt will only have 5 broken lines around the grip screw.

The magazine for your pistol should be E/88 only stamped on the spine. You have a later war magazine.
Steil ------ Thanks for you detailed comment. I'll look through the rest of my P. 38 mags. and see if a E/88 stamped mag. could be among them. If I find one I'll pull the mag. that's in the cyq piece out and install the E/88 mag. Thanks again for your comments.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts