Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a p38 on layaway which seems to be in the white. It also looks like it was in some kind if fire, nothing melted, but the slide has a blackish color on on the one side. It seems like all the number's match. I'm worried that if I shoot it, it'll crack on the frame. Has anyone heard of a p38 leaving the factory in the white and how scared should I be to shoot it. I didn't pay much and all the waffenamp's are there, any input would be greatly appreciated..........
Pictures forthcoming.......

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
mike,
Photos would be a great help; they would show what you have described along with markings which may help with the finish applied from the factory. Additional info may be obtained on the P.38 Forum once posted with the photos. A number of issues could explain most of your questions and concerns. Help us to help you. art

·
Silver Bullet member
55,191 Posts
Get a look under the grips or up the mag entrance.... Or under the slide ...traces of blue.?

Could be a chemical cleaning ....unfinished on one side?
Pictures?

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,654 Posts
If it has in fact been through a fire, i would not shoot it at all. Strictly wall-hanger.

AFAIK, the number of P38s leaving the factory in the white would be zero.

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
Are you sure it is not a phosphate finish? I was unaware of phosphate finished parts on late production P.38's until I picked one up yesterday with some small parts in phosphate.

Here is one which is mostly phosphate. $4,000 gun.

http://www.icollector.com/Rare-Worl...f-44-Code-P38-Semi-Automatic-Pistol_i15827680

And another from an auction that was complete phosphate finish.

20 bids, and a substantial price. Must have been something interesting about it.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11687850/guns-for-sale-curios-relics/pistol-curios-relics/mauser-oberndorf-germany-p.38-mauser-byf-44-p38-rare-phosphate-p-38-9m-m

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It could very well be phosphate, I should have it Monday or Tuesday, I'll post pictures then, believe me, I can't wait to take this thing down, I don't care if it is a wall hanger, I have a Nazt wall now and the the price I paid , I couldn't beat......., thanks...... ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, its a real shame, it seems to be all matching, I found (FNH) on the bottom of the barrel Fabrique Nationals Herstal, I presume. The slide is matching, but I can't seem to find any letters or the year,stumped, your turn guys, help a fellow out here.........

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
Is the FNH barrel matching? It is a desirable maker.

Wow. Tough to judge without sharp pics. Except that there is no paint inside the S and F of the safety. It appears that at least the slide has been stripped of finish.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I can see a faint 45 on the slide, but a b series is too early for the Americans getting to the factory, or so I've read.....
And no, there's no paint in the F or S

·
Registered
175 Posts
miike,
The inspection stamps indicate it has a Walther (ac) frame and slide. If the barrel and locking block have the E/359 that would narrow it down to the Walther factory. It may be a put together at the capture of Walther by the military from parts found, before bluing or phosphating step; or, just parts that had not been accepted for use but in stock bins. You may be correct regarding the finish in the white, but from the photos it appears to have some type of finish like phosphate. Post on the P.38 Forum, you may get additional info. Nice find. art

·
Copper Bullet Member
6,480 Posts
IMHO one way to tell if it has been in a fire the springs may be dead. How are the springs? Ex.: hammer spring.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,654 Posts
They all seem fine(the springs) no weakness....... Can a wet holster leather eat at steal ??
That was my other theory......

Yes, a gun left in a holster, especially a wet one, will have the steel eaten at. It doesn't look like it was never finished to me from those photos, would really like to see some close ups, properly lighted, or (better) hands on. I don't think mokus is right about it having been pickled and the parts then left to be assembled.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.