Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked this up from a forum member. I thinks its a pretty good looking ac 42. Minus the fact that it isnt matching. Has a spreewerk barrel and for the life of me I cant figure out why someone would sand off the barrel number. Maybe to deceive someone who doesnt know how to take one apart? I've also been told this could've been in the Bundesheer. Would they have done something like this?

Attachments

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
17,091 Posts
I don't see any evidence of a previous number on the front of the barrel. Seems like an unnumbered replacement.

The Bh is just a Spreewerk inspection or lot code. It has nothing to do with the Austrian Army. If it had a BH on the left side frame, it would be a different story, and the Bundesheer would be in play.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is hard to see from the picture. But there was something there at one time. You can see side to side sanding marks and if you were to rub your finger on it, there is a low spot

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
17,091 Posts
It is hard to see from the picture. But there was something there at one time. You can see side to side sanding marks and if you were to rub your finger on it, there is a low spot
At least there were no new numbers added, so there is no evidence of an attempt to deceive. It's just a mismatched gun with a scrubbed Spreewerk barrel.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At least there were no new numbers added, so there is no evidence of an attempt to deceive. It's just a mismatched gun with a scrubbed Spreewerk barrel.
Good enough. I knew my seller wasn't trying to deceive me. I just wonder why someone would've done that but I guess we'll never really know.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
MissouriGunGuy --- Even though it is a mismatch the P.38 still looks good and should make a fine shooter piece. I have a matched ac 42 P.38 I could post some photos if you might be interested. I also have a gxy 42 dated hard shell holster with a P.38 stamp on the back side I keep the pistol in.

Someone might have tried to remove a rust spot or some other blemish from that spot. But like you said "we'll never know".

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MissouriGunGuy --- Even though it is a mismatch the P.38 still looks good and should make a fine shooter piece. I have a matched ac 42 P.38 I could post some photos if you might be interested. I also have a gxy 42 dated hard shell holster with a P.38 stamp on the back side I keep the pistol in.

Someone might have tried to remove a rust spot or some other blemish from that spot. But like you said "we'll never know".
Yes please post pictures. I have all 3 makers matching p38's from 1943 all in 43 holsters. Goal its to get all from 44 and 45 as well. Eventualy an ac41 and 40.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
ac 42 P.38 Pistol & 42 Dated Holster

MissouriGunGuy ---- Attached below are some older photos of my ac 42 P.38 with a code jln 1942 dated hard shell holster. I mistakenly said the holster was coded gxy in my above comment. That holster (the gxy) is a hard shell P.38 1943 dated holster that my byf 43 P.38 sleeps in. In the photos below there are some stains on the holster's back side that I don't know what it is. I've imagined the stains could be blood but have yet to flake off a small sample for analysis. If the stains turn out to be human blood and a signed lab analysis verifies that, I suppose that could add value to the pistol and holster set. If you might care to see more photos of the pistol than shown below just let me know and I could take some current photos. All comments are welcome.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts