Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
With so many variables in markings plus an unknown, there is too little to go on just to speculate.
Can you raise the first one?
Numeral or digit?
Gaps between letters/numbers?
Punctuation marks such as periods/fullstops etc?

Without all, there is no way to tell really.
Is it a town or county abbreviation with a unit?
Regimental number?
For example:
*TS could be a location as might 3T or 3TS.
S. M could represent a militia.
?T S.M. could be Sappers & Miners.

Not saying any of this applies. Only pointing out the difficulties in making a guess.
Then there is country of origin within the Commonwealth and Empire.
Perhaps School of Musketry! ;)

Personally, I need more to work with. Even then I couldn’t guarantee a positive result. Not with the listings at my disposal.

·
Silver Bullet member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
'S.M.' is the official designation marking for (England) 'South Midlands', and I reckon 'T' is for 'Territorial' units... Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/48th_(South_Midland)_Division

Trajan
As on the rim ?.T.S.M The question mark is the illegible letter or number. Worn away unevenly by what looks to have been the bayonet continually being withdrawn and replaced in scabbard (Training Unit?). The TSM is as displayed with periods (full stops)

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
I can see the problem now. No clue yet.
Although for the sake of this conversation, wouldn’t “South Midland” be marked as SM opposed to S. M. ?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
The mark is in the correct place on the locket for a unit mark, with serial number '58'

There are always exceptions to the rule. But 'S.M.' with stops is what is stated on p.194 of the official Instructions for Armourers issued by the 'War Office, 1912, reprinted with amendments, 1916'. I do not have a copy of any post WW1 Instructions for Armourers, so I am assuming 'T' is for 'Territorial'. It all makes sense to me, if not to anyone else. The only problem I see is that possible letter before the 'T'.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
trajan - no wonder couldn't find any reference. However, looked through Ray Westlake's book on the Terriers, 1908-14, and the nearest is Telegraph/Signal Companies or Transport and Supply Columns. Territorial units appear to be linked to infantry units or corps though, incorporating their designation.
S.M. - school of musketry, sappers & miners; come up with a blank on Indian stuff.
That first letter could hold the key. If A - ATS, wowo_O!
sp error.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts