Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have just acquired an ERA P14 with the serial in the 1847XX range. Any idea when it was built?

The bolt is numbered to the receiver BUT the numbers are on the underside and the stamping is a bit "wandery". Is this normal or is it a renumbered bolt from a refurb? I know on Model 1917 rifles this is often associated with Canadian ownership.

I am a little concerned that the rear sight leaf has no numbers. I thought this was also supposed to match the receiver. It does on my Winchester P14. Otherwise, most of the bits I can see with the wood on are marked E, except the damned cock-on-opening abomination that a previous owner has fitted.:angry:

The stock is a bit of a mystery as it is NOT a Fatboy but I cannot find an R or W mark on the end of the forearm. There is a faint W on the butt with a heavily stamped Roman 1 (I) next to it. It almost looks like the stock was refinished making the W faint and then the I stamped on it.

Pictures will follow over the weekend, then maybe we can work out when it was reblued, then worn again.

·
Registered
382 Posts
since these rifles were only made from circa 1915-1917 picking an exact date is pretty hard.

Bolt is probably a refurb, fitted by an armorer, I would consider it original. If the rear sight is a .303 sight and not a .30-06, I would not worry about it not being serialed, I suspect the practice faded away as its not a fitted part anyway.

Parts to replace your cock on opening mechanism can be had fairly cheaply from Springfield Sporters, google their website. He charges extra for picking parts by maker mark, but if you don't specify, you will most likely get E marked parts (all the R and W parts long picked out). I have gotten a lot of P14/US1917 parts from him, all new old stock in heavy grease.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Your rifle was made in January 1917 and was probably accepted by British inspectors at the factory week commencing 27th January 1917.

By the end of that week 198,910 rifles had been accepted. At the end of the previous week the total was 182,810.

These dates assume that rifles were inspected and accepted in the order of manufacture and there would have been a short delay between manufacture and acceptance.

Regards
TonyE

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for that info, Tony. I guess you are the "Keeper of the Keys" when it comes to P14 production dates.

After a bit more searching, I found the serial stamped on the rear sight. I am doing gun photos today so maybe you can all have a look and pass judgment, later. My main concern is that it looks reblued now I can see it in person. This was not obvious in the auction pictures, but considering I got the gun at a good price with a proper P14 stock, I should not complain.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, here are the pictures. See what I mean about a reblue?

BTW, what kind of sling did I get with it?

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like your rifle had extensive surface rusting, which has subsequently been cleaned and refinished.
That could be, although another look at my other P14 shows that it also has a fine grain finish rather than polished smooth. When I take the wood off I will learn more.

I will say that the headspace on this rifle is excellent. As you probably know, most Lee Enfields are at the field guage end, but this P14 will not close on SAAMI No-Go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts