Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's my P. Webley & Sons London & Birmingham Police (marked on left side of top strap) revolver serial number 7449 (serial number on frame is rather worn but clear 449 marked on inside of cylinder and faint 7 XX 9 visible on left side frame; serial number might also be 7X449). It looks like it's in good shape to shoot so would like fellow members opinion on caliber (.450 Adams) and whether this Fiocchi ammo would fit this pistol.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mine looks just like this one which is marked .450 but is worn off on my example.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Conventional wisdom has it that the Fiocchi-made 450 Corto is actually loaded too hot for all of the antique 450 revolvers out there. I have seen an exploded cylinder from a 450 Adams due to this ammo.

I have fired it out of my MKVI and chronographed it and got around 720-740 FPS. Of course raw chronograph data is not really useful for figuring pressure.

Personally I would only recommend firing this ammo out of a heavy MKVI or other large service revolver rated for smokeless powder.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm w/Kiernyc here.
I've many solid frame Webleys: RICs, 83s, Bulldogs etc, and I've always been wary of and warned(repeatedly) against this particular ammo.
I do a custom brass exchange/reload w/BP charge and never a concern when I do shoot them!!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
751 Posts
Neat old Webley, Here’s mine. I love the manacles on the perps wrists logo. I need a pair of old style manacles to go with this. Have a couple Constabulary whistles though.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The left whistle is marked A.DeCourcy &Co Frankfort St Birmingham 1916 while the right one is stamped THE METROPOLITAN Royal Ulster Constabulary J.Hudson & Co 244 Barr Street Birmingham.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts