Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a gunshow today, there seemed to be a lot of P-64s for sale compared to other surplus handguns. Since I already have two (1967 and 1975 dated), I did not inspect any real closely since many were in wooden crates standing upright. Some that were lying flat on tables mostly had late 1960s dates causing me to ask: what are the earliest and latest dated P-64s out there to be found? Not sure when the P-64 mfg was halted but at least the designation "64" would be when the gun was designed. So from 1964 through (fill in blank). What are your observations?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Interesting question. The "CZAK" P-64s were produced from 1965 to 1977, with a total of 190 000 pieces. I suppose you can try looking for 1965-dated examples, but initial production examples are always rare.

I would also like to point out that "64" is the year of adoption. The pistol's design dated from the 1958 Polish pistol trials after the signing of the 1955 Warsaw Pact which dictated the use of the 9mm PM cartridge. The Polish wanted a similar pistol as the Makarov design, but locally designed and produced. Three prototype pistols competed:

- The "WiR" wz.57 designed by Piotr Wilniewczyc (designer of the VIS pistol and PM-63 machine pistol) and Stanisław Rojek. It was originally chambered for .380 ACP (175g slide), but later redesigned for 9mm Mak (275g slide). It had a magazine capacity of 6 rounds

- The wz.58 designed by Ryszard Białostocki and Ryszard Chelmicki. A very interesting and unique design based on the Finnish L-35 pistol by Aimo Lahti. It uses a falling block short-recoil system and internal hammer mechanism. Excellent in-depth article here.

- And finally, of course, the "CZAK". The pistol was collectively designed by Czepukajtis, Zimny, Adamczyk, and Kaczmarski. Two models, for the military and police, were submitted. The military version was larger and had one more round in the magazine. Below is the picture of the submitted prototype.

Well, I seem to have spun off in a tangent again. Hopefully, this spurred your interest towards this cool little pistol!

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,304 Posts
Great information and pictures Meerkoos, thanks!

I've got a 1967 and a 1968. With those two consecutive numbers I may have to work backwards to get the 1966 and seek an elusive 1965.

It'd be interesting to know their usage of the 2 letter prefixes by year, if anyone has done a thorough serial number survey I guess that would already be known. Like other Polish firearms (M44 Mosin, Tokarev pistol) they're in blocks of 10,000. If they filled the entire 10,000 regardless of crossing from one year to the next then there would only be 19 prefixes, but if they started with a new letter block on January 1 there could be considerably more prefixes.

·
Registered
21,209 Posts
OT but I want to say it: The quality of this pistol is simply amazing to me. While I marvel that post WWII pocket type pistols still were in demand by any military / police, here is a very robust quality Pole example and well worth the selling prices seen today. I do not agree with the inaccuracy often associated with this pistol, I had the chance to shoot Va Vets example and at 15 yds, its deadly accurate and meets the requirements of such a pistol fully.

Its safety is the European abortion on the slide but its not the only model to suffer this design. To carry this pistol for DA first shot is very safe with this slide mounted safety on fire position. That is my estimation and while its DA pull is huge, this trigger is not going to go off by itself being carried around. In a holster, this is a safe pistol to carry ready to fire in DA mode.

I shoot this pistol fine, don't get distracted by trigger pull and if one thinks the recoil is abusive, you shoot train more with the pistol. Were I in the market for such a pistol, this would be the one I'd buy.

It think the criticism one can find on this pistol is due to novice shooters buying them and finding themselves deep into Discovery Learning of how to handle the pistol.

This is a self defense pistol, not a service pistol that one takes to range and fires boxes of ammo out of it. Its a mission driven pistol with a particular purpose: self defense. If one wants a pistol to shoot thousands of rounds out of, then seek a larger framed pistol like a S&W, Glock, SIG, 1911.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,304 Posts
Like other Polish firearms (M44 Mosin, Tokarev pistol) they're in blocks of 10,000.
I noticed that this was an erroneous statement. They have two letters and 5 digits, so potentially they're blocks of 100,000. I see a lot of examples with zeros in the ten-thousands place and relatively few with a 1 (or higher), so they probably didn't use the whole block before switching letter codes.

·
Registered
664 Posts
A couple years back I saw a 1966 dated one at a gun show. Should've bought it or taken pictures of it, but I didn't think about it until this thread. It was in the 31xx serial range IIRC

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,304 Posts
A couple years back I saw a 1966 dated one at a gun show. Should've bought it or taken pictures of it, but I didn't think about it until this thread. It was in the 31xx serial range IIRC
Yup, you should've ;-) I did a quick Gun Broker picture serial survey this morning and I only see 1967-77 out of a small set of 70-80 examples, with both 67 and 77 being more scarce. A '66 might be a true rarity and a '65 approaching unicorn status.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The P64 is not drop safe with the safety disengaged and, therefore, not safe to carry without the safety on. Hence, IMO, it isn't a good carry weapon.

In the Mak caliber pistols, the Makarov and the PA 63 along with its sister FEG designs are the only ones that are safe to carry with the safety off.

My two cents. Yours free of charge.

OT but I want to say it: The quality of this pistol is simply amazing to me. While I marvel that post WWII pocket type pistols still were in demand by any military / police, here is a very robust quality Pole example and well worth the selling prices seen today. I do not agree with the inaccuracy often associated with this pistol, I had the chance to shoot Va Vets example and at 15 yds, its deadly accurate and meets the requirements of such a pistol fully.

Its safety is the European abortion on the slide but its not the only model to suffer this design. To carry this pistol for DA first shot is very safe with this slide mounted safety on fire position. That is my estimation and while its DA pull is huge, this trigger is not going to go off by itself being carried around. In a holster, this is a safe pistol to carry ready to fire in DA mode.

I shoot this pistol fine, don't get distracted by trigger pull and if one thinks the recoil is abusive, you shoot train more with the pistol. Were I in the market for such a pistol, this would be the one I'd buy.

It think the criticism one can find on this pistol is due to novice shooters buying them and finding themselves deep into Discovery Learning of how to handle the pistol.

This is a self defense pistol, not a service pistol that one takes to range and fires boxes of ammo out of it. Its a mission driven pistol with a particular purpose: self defense. If one wants a pistol to shoot thousands of rounds out of, then seek a larger framed pistol like a S&W, Glock, SIG, 1911.

·
Registered
15 Posts

- The "WiR" wz.57 designed by Piotr Wilniewczyc (designer of the VIS pistol and PM-63 machine pistol) and Stanisław Rojek. It was originally chambered for .380 ACP (175g slide), but later redesigned for 9mm Mak (275g slide). It had a magazine capacity of 6 rounds

View attachment 2307738 View attachment 2307730 View attachment 2307746

Gents, FYI:
WiR wz. 57 is listed for sale here:
http://bron-i-amunicja.armybazar.eu/pl/bron-krotka/vir-id153193/

For about 250 000 USD.

A pricey one :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
The P64 is not drop safe with the safety disengaged and, therefore, not safe to carry without the safety on. Hence, IMO, it isn't a good carry weapon. In the Mak caliber pistols, the Makarov and the PA 63 along with its sister FEG designs are the only ones that are safe to carry with the safety off.
My two cents. Yours free of charge.
Your words make sense for someone who prefers Glocks and similar pistols that do not have safeties. I have heard many such people say that they will not carry a pistol that has a safety unless they can carry it with the safety off. I respect those people's opinion because what works for them is what should matter to them.

One of the reasons I like the P-64 is because my professional wardrobe makes holsters problematic, so I pocket carry. My personal preference is that I do not want a loaded gun pointed at my crotch which will go off if the trigger is pulled. Repetitive dry fire training has made it muscle memory to flick off the safety when drawing the weapon and to cock the hammer as I present it. The stiff double action trigger makes it unlikely that I could shoot myself while drawing with the safety off, and by the time the hammer is cocked into single action the pistol is out and no longer pointed at me. Features that make the P-64 undesirable for many people make it that much more desirable for me. Your mileage may vary.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.