Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
tbird,
Are the markings on the rifle aribic/indian? These look just like the 3rd pattern Enfield produced for use in the American Civil War but the pic on IMA's site shows some funky writing on the lock rather than "xxxx TOWER" as the ones used in the ACW. Are the British proofs on the left side of the barrel near the breach? There should be a 25 crown 25. Do you thing the rifle is shootable?
Thanks,
Mark

·
Silver Bullet member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
They are nepalese numeric script, I have not taken the time to translate. There are no BRITISH proofs on the rifle. THese were made by the Nepalese, possibly under british supervision. I do think the rifle is shootable, There is some minor pitting under the wood line, but it is about midway up the barrel, and the bore looks really good.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I ordered one of these P53's myself. I checked IMA and AC's online catalogs, both basicaly the same merchandise as far as the Nepalese firearms go.

I had bought my Martini Henry at 10% off from Atlanta Cutlery, a mailer deal they offered about a year ago. Decided to order the P53 from IMA. We'll see what I get?

Looks to me like the higher priced P53 rifle/muskets are just the 'untouched' versions cleaned up!

We'll see. Maybe I'll get a nice one....maybe I'll get a tomato stake!

·
Silver Bullet member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So how did you guys make out?

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday. Total junk. The metal parts weren't that bad, but the stock was worthless. The few parts that weren't cracked were dry rotted. I boxed mine up to ship back. The metal could have been salvaged, but the stock was a total loss. I'll just use the loss on shipping both ways as an education.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
I got mine yesterday. The stock is usable, the metal is overall rusty but will clean up, the lock works. there's some Nepalize on the brass triggerguard, maybe more than just numbers but I can't be sure. The buttplate has two huge nails holding it in instead of screws, and the top screw is missing. There aren't any keepers for the barrel bands (I'm comparing it to a Snider Enfield I bought from them), the lockplate is cruder than the Snider as well. Most if not all of the screws have open trapezoidal slots rather than square, making removing them difficult (bunged up screw slots are the bane of my existence; at least I didn't do these). I still haven't gotten the rear lockplate screw and rear triggerguard screw off yet; I'm using Kroil and patience rather than force.

The stock was very dry, but now has alot of penetrating oil where I tried to loosen metal parts. Unlike the Snider the ramrod isn't threaded, it was being held in with rust.

Questions:
1. Are barrel band keeper springs normal in 1853's?
2. How is the front of the trigger guard held in place? There are two screws on the rear, but none on the front.
3. How were the stocks finished? I have BLO, but would rather use the "right" stuff if feasible.
4. Is the metal normally in the white on these rifles? Most of the metal has a pretty nice layer of black all over, should I be trying to clean it off, or leave it on? I am going to try to clean the red rust off.

I guess the burning question is "Is it worth buying?" For me it is. It'll never be any more than it is, but I enjoy tinkering with guns but hate ruining them, and in 30 years Nepalize guns will be a rarity.

Here's some pics:

·
Silver Bullet member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
2. How is the front of the trigger guard held in place? There are two screws on the rear, but none on the front.

There is a drive pin that is on the left side of the stock in line with the fron of the trigger guard. you will find it with a little cleaning. Mine was a blind pin, but I tapped it on through as the exit is covered by the lock plate. Se my pic earlier in the thread

4. Is the metal normally in the white on these rifles? Most of the metal has a pretty nice layer of black all over, should I be trying to clean it off, or leave it on? I am going to try to clean the red rust off.

The finish should be BLue. My blue is still there, but is VERY dark, I would clean it with Denatured alchohol or hot water to get the junk off the metal.

I tung oiled my stock... I dont know what the original finish was if any... maybe the original finish was the lard.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Thanks for the info. as a followup:
I got the lockplate and hammer off, and the lockplate wasn't crudely made, it just exhibits a great deal of wear: under the hammer the small groove carved around the border of the plate is still visible. The hammer was a little loose, is it common?

I've decided not to remove the trigger guard and trigger. I've had bad luck with pins...

The wood has tiny holes, perfectly round and less than 1mm in diameter spread around it. Is it worms, or maybe the wood is not Walnut but maybe Mahogany? I don't recall seeing them on Walnut.

Anyway, I think I'll contact IMA and see if they can send a replacement screw for the one missing on the buttplate. And get the DVD...

·
Silver Bullet member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
The DVD is interesting, though the quality hsa a lot to be desired. ( the audio is not very well balanced) but there are lots of good scenes showing where and how the rifles were stored.

David, The holes you describe sounds like bugs.

·
Silver Bullet member
495 Posts
I figured I would post some pics of the one I received yesterday. It does have some stock damage here and there, the rear band and retaining spring are rusted, and the hammer is wobbly. The hammer is attached with a nut instead of a bolt like all the pictures I've seen, so maybe some parts were used from some other lock. There are hints of shallow rifling but I haven't cleaned the bore to see much else. The only markings I've found are Nepalese on the trigger guard. The stock and parts of the metal look like they were painted black at some point. I'm surprised at how light weight it is compared to the P-1842 musket.

Overall I would say I'm happy with it. It will never be a 'shooter', but I think it was worth the money as a collectible.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well I rolled the dice too and got a total rust bucket. The lock was good. Under the barrel is different story and as far as the bore smooth as a baby's butt. the stock is bad shape with a crack Through the wrist the tang is holding it together. It can be repaired. The butt plate was missing. IMA sent one with screws but it won't fit without grinding the stock. One of the trigger guard screws was missing and one band spring. I haven't decided to send back or tinker with and keep as a wall hanger. There is no hope as far as shooting this thing it would probably shatter into a million pieces. So if you order one don't expect much. I guess they are down to the bottom of the pile. IMA could do a better job in telling people what they are selling.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I see today they are offering the rifles for 240.00 and added different pictures and gave a long spill about what an antique they are. So the must have got a ton of them back. I decided to keep mine and do some work to it. Mine is a much better than the one in the pictures.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yeah.. I hear that. I can understand that if you received a rifle with a broken stock ( not just cracked... I would have been upset. I am very pleased with mine. It also seems that they were getting a lot of questions about the "authenticity" of the rifles. which Christian addresses well. ( who knows, maybe they were made to fill a contract with the CSA, that couldnt be filled prior to the end of "the war of northern agression" )
Regardless, I know of a lot of civil war buffs who Jumped at the opportunity to own a period firearm for the offered price! ( Like me ! )

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well got mine cleaned finally not too bad for 100 years plus gunk on it. I do have a problem with the stock it has a slight bow to the left. I am thinking this came from being stacked on a pallet on top of each other. You can see where the hammer screw was indented into the front part of the stock. Any one have and good advice on how to straighten it.

·
Gold Bullet member
853 Posts
I have one on the way and will be overjoyed if it is as nice as yours. You may want to steam the stock, then clamp it between a couple of 1 x 4's and leave it for a week. That may straighten it up some.

·
Registered
63 Posts
pantina, It looked as if they where painted black at one time. I will give the clamps and steam a try.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
mine is def blued, it is real obvius during cleaning. The old finish/lacquer/animal grease i thing just aged to the point that it looks like black paint. course what do u expect for a rifle that was basically stored in a hot attic for 150 yrs.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.