Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Got mine yesterday night.

Got Mine yesterday.

Here is the good points:

1) Bore very nice for condition for age, little to no rust inside. No rpitting, just light surface gunk.
2) Little to no rust on rifle, just a black paint like crap coating that is dryed grease or might be paint
3) No evidence of water damage. The stock is very, very dry.
4) stock is not heavily dented. once gunk removed it might look very nice.
5) came apart with ease, no rusted screws or messed up screw heads.

Bad things.

1) Muzzle is out of round, significant enough to make shooting out of the question.
2) Barrel has a bulge in it about 6 inches from muzzle, can be felt inside and seen on the outside of the barrel. reason # 2 this rifle will never be a shooter (sigh.......)
3) rear sight leaf is broken, will not hold position on sight ladder.
4) stock is broken through the lock rear barrel support area, almost all the way through, enough to ensure the rifle stock cannot be used. Not due to shipping, it was carefully packed, my bet is the stock was so dried out that it warped and cracked. Can be repaired to make nice appearance, but no better than that.
5) rear buttplate missing bottom screw and other screws loose in stock.
6) lock is not fully functional. Will not hold on full cock, slips off of full cock.
7) Nipple pretty much hammered. looks like kid spent time snapping it until crushed.

Overall, this rifle will never be more than a wallhanger, though with effort it might be pretty. I guess I cannot complain, as they promised nothing more but I was frankly let down by it all. If I knew it was going to be in this shape I would not have bought one, it is just too rough. In fairness, where in the world are you going to get a decent 150 year old rifled musket for 250 dollars? I am tempted to buy another and hpe to be able to assemble a decent rifle between the two of them, and might if most others have better luck. The problem is that none of the major assemblies on the rifle I got (the lock, stock or barrel) were in good shape or (with the possible exception of the lock, which might be repaired) can they be put into decent shape. The bands, buttplate and the ramrod were in good shape.

The do not allow special select. Bloody shame. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Well my reading of their ad was that you were buying it in as-is condition. Kind of unfair of me to return it if it comes as-is and that condition is not so good. The cost to ship it back will most likely be on the order of 15 dollars, so I am better off cleaning it up and selling it at my cost. IT might come out to be a pretty display piece. I think the lock can be fixed up, it looks like a screw is not in its hole (but the part is there).

Not sure what I will do, but I am really bumbed out about this. This is the second order from them that left me with material I could not use. Most likley I will sell it at a slight loss.

This is about my 4th or 5th order from IMA in the last 8 years. My experince has been if you pay for special select you get very nice stuff, otherwise you have a good chance to get the floor sweepings, if it is nto a repo item. I ordered one of their wooden drill SMLE rifles back in 99, what I got was junk with missing hardware. I returned it with a polite letter and got a nice one. I ordered a MK IV Martini, got a rusted example (water damage), returned it and paid for a special select. What I got can only be described as excellent, it was like getting a 1886 rifle that had been in storage all that time. It was an excellent deal. I then ordered a MK II Martini cleaning rod and got a rusted peice of crap that should have been scraped and never sold. I ate that as I was on travel when it got in so I did not see it until about 3 weeks had passed, too late to return it. I did nto order special selct on that item. Now in a burst of hope I bought this crappy P1853. Another headache to deal with..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.