Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, I worked on mine some tonight. Tried both acetone and denatured alcohol. The acetone worked, but no better than the alkie and evaporated so fast my hands were freezing. I tried the trick of wrapping a rag around the stock and soaking it wth solvent to try to soften the grunge, but no luck. I do have a little wood peeping through, but the going is SLOW!. Think I will try a Scotch Brite pad next... Meanwhile, I'll set the lock to soak in alcohol for a while.

·
Registered
34 Posts
After soaking my entire lock overnight in D.A., I disassembled it and scrubbed it with a Scotchbrite pad. It cleaned up BEAUTIFULLY! There are some small areas of pitting where the coating had come off some time in the past, but you don't see it unless you're looking for it. I also started using a Scotchbrite pad and alcohol on the stock, and it's taking the crud right off. I did buy a quart of BLO to use on the stock afterwards, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.