Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 16 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased any of the Nepalese discovered Enfield muskets from IMA etc, in untouched condition? Are they a good buy? I see that it is a new listing

Any advice. ( I am prolly gonna buy one, cause I have always wanted a civil war era musket but..... I like make informed decisions)

Thomas

·
Silver Bullet member
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is interesting to me that they are offering the Kit, which has been on the site for awhile, but they just added the complete original.... Clearance maybe???... or the best of the worst???

·
Silver Bullet member
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got it! It is in better than pic'd condition, and is very solid. Bore looks good and should clean up well. I have not torn it down yet, but there are no obvious signs of bad rust anywhere. so far it is wellworth the 250! will post pics once I det them taken

·
Silver Bullet member
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
SOrry for the delay in posting, Her are the pics straight outa the box, I am quite pleased

There was/is some minor pitting below the wood line, but not serous enough to effect shootability I dont think, The rifling is strong, with little rust. I did not have any luck pulling the breach plug, though I dont have the proper tools. The rifle was covered in a lacquer of sorts, and my best luck cleaning was hot water, and Denatured Alchohol. It cleaned up really well, The action screws and th action is very solid, and very clean

I will try to get after pics posted soon.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AHHHH Animal grease!!! high protien, that is why water water and alchy.... Makes sense, Here are the after shots. sorry for the poor muzzle pic, camera was dying :-(

·
Silver Bullet member
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The bore is pretty good. There is some light (empahsize light) rust which is to be expected, but the rifling is strong. There was some light pitting (frosting) towards the muzzle on the inside, but nothing serious. I will try to get it cleaned a little better and see if I cant get a decent pic this weekend. .... I will try any way.

I would be certain that these are nepalese copies. There is * (yes and asterisc) makers mark on every part of the rifle, and larger actions pieces, so I assume that it was definately a mass produced item, THe workmanship is VERY similar if not equal to the belt pistol (EITC British) I also have

TC

·
Silver Bullet member
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting. Any idea what the markings on the lock plate mean? Any plans to shoot the rifle?
The markings are numbers I believe, I do plan to shoot it eventually, I dont think I will ever load it for the 700Yd mark though.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
They are nepalese numeric script, I have not taken the time to translate. There are no BRITISH proofs on the rifle. THese were made by the Nepalese, possibly under british supervision. I do think the rifle is shootable, There is some minor pitting under the wood line, but it is about midway up the barrel, and the bore looks really good.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So how did you guys make out?

·
Silver Bullet member
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
2. How is the front of the trigger guard held in place? There are two screws on the rear, but none on the front.

There is a drive pin that is on the left side of the stock in line with the fron of the trigger guard. you will find it with a little cleaning. Mine was a blind pin, but I tapped it on through as the exit is covered by the lock plate. Se my pic earlier in the thread

4. Is the metal normally in the white on these rifles? Most of the metal has a pretty nice layer of black all over, should I be trying to clean it off, or leave it on? I am going to try to clean the red rust off.

The finish should be BLue. My blue is still there, but is VERY dark, I would clean it with Denatured alchohol or hot water to get the junk off the metal.

I tung oiled my stock... I dont know what the original finish was if any... maybe the original finish was the lard.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
The DVD is interesting, though the quality hsa a lot to be desired. ( the audio is not very well balanced) but there are lots of good scenes showing where and how the rifles were stored.

David, The holes you describe sounds like bugs.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yeah.. I hear that. I can understand that if you received a rifle with a broken stock ( not just cracked... I would have been upset. I am very pleased with mine. It also seems that they were getting a lot of questions about the "authenticity" of the rifles. which Christian addresses well. ( who knows, maybe they were made to fill a contract with the CSA, that couldnt be filled prior to the end of "the war of northern agression" )
Regardless, I know of a lot of civil war buffs who Jumped at the opportunity to own a period firearm for the offered price! ( Like me ! )

·
Silver Bullet member
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
mine is def blued, it is real obvius during cleaning. The old finish/lacquer/animal grease i thing just aged to the point that it looks like black paint. course what do u expect for a rifle that was basically stored in a hot attic for 150 yrs.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
On the note of cleaning the protective coating off, I was very aggressive, as the stuff is soo hard. the Scotch-brite like scrubbers for kitchem use worked well, They hold the denat. alch, and cut the grime. and i alternated with direct appliation of dish detergent and hot water. T.I.M.E. = TOO LONG :) but I am still young and single and have nothing better to do :D

·
Silver Bullet member
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I assume this is how you did yours?? I found that NO petro-based solvents had ANY effect onthe protective coating (animal grease). and only the water and the alchohol would cut it.
I soaked the metal parts in Kerosene, PB plaster, etc, to no avail, but the DA did the trick.
I am just curious, and am definately open to easier "right ways" to clean the stocks.

1 - 15 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.