Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
making a simple job tough

Yeah, I worked on mine some tonight. Tried both acetone and denatured alcohol. The acetone worked, but no better than the alkie and evaporated so fast my hands were freezing. I tried the trick of wrapping a rag around the stock and soaking it wth solvent to try to soften the grunge, but no luck. I do have a little wood peeping through, but the going is SLOW!. Think I will try a Scotch Brite pad next... Meanwhile, I'll set the lock to soak in alcohol for a while.
Been sitting here quietly reading all these posts and chuckling to myself....Make it easy on yourselvs..make a shallow pan out of cardboard or wood , line it with aluminum foil, mix 1 pint of BLO with 1 pint of turpintine, pour in pan..lay stock in pan, use 1/2 or 1 inch brush to keep stock wet.
after a while the grunge will soften and lift right off, a lite touch with the wifes scouring pad will finish it off.
BlO was the finish on these and other posts have all the info you need to finish the job.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I assume this is how you did yours?? I found that NO petro-based solvents had ANY effect onthe protective coating (animal grease). and only the water and the alchohol would cut it.
I soaked the metal parts in Kerosene, PB plaster, etc, to no avail, but the DA did the trick.
I am just curious, and am definately open to easier "right ways" to clean the stocks.
For chemical based products you need a chemical based solvent, for organic an organic solvent. I,m basicaly lazy and prefer the solvent do it,s job while I do other good stuff.
I think a hundred some years ago there weren,t that many chemicals available. so animal products were used...or whatever...
As for the stock, it had over a hundred years to dry out and become brittle, a 50/50 mix of turps and BLO really hydrates it. all my old rifles are treated this way folowed up by a BLO/beeswax treatment...no split stocks yet...and I shoot them all...
Some of my guns are over 200 years old,nothing hangs on the wall.
Anyways..if soap and scotch brite pad do it for you,go to it...but use the BLO/turps afterwards.
It,s surprizing how good these things can be under all that grunge.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.