Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
I got mine yesterday. The stock is usable, the metal is overall rusty but will clean up, the lock works. there's some Nepalize on the brass triggerguard, maybe more than just numbers but I can't be sure. The buttplate has two huge nails holding it in instead of screws, and the top screw is missing. There aren't any keepers for the barrel bands (I'm comparing it to a Snider Enfield I bought from them), the lockplate is cruder than the Snider as well. Most if not all of the screws have open trapezoidal slots rather than square, making removing them difficult (bunged up screw slots are the bane of my existence; at least I didn't do these). I still haven't gotten the rear lockplate screw and rear triggerguard screw off yet; I'm using Kroil and patience rather than force.

The stock was very dry, but now has alot of penetrating oil where I tried to loosen metal parts. Unlike the Snider the ramrod isn't threaded, it was being held in with rust.

Questions:
1. Are barrel band keeper springs normal in 1853's?
2. How is the front of the trigger guard held in place? There are two screws on the rear, but none on the front.
3. How were the stocks finished? I have BLO, but would rather use the "right" stuff if feasible.
4. Is the metal normally in the white on these rifles? Most of the metal has a pretty nice layer of black all over, should I be trying to clean it off, or leave it on? I am going to try to clean the red rust off.

I guess the burning question is "Is it worth buying?" For me it is. It'll never be any more than it is, but I enjoy tinkering with guns but hate ruining them, and in 30 years Nepalize guns will be a rarity.

Here's some pics:

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
Thanks for the info. as a followup:
I got the lockplate and hammer off, and the lockplate wasn't crudely made, it just exhibits a great deal of wear: under the hammer the small groove carved around the border of the plate is still visible. The hammer was a little loose, is it common?

I've decided not to remove the trigger guard and trigger. I've had bad luck with pins...

The wood has tiny holes, perfectly round and less than 1mm in diameter spread around it. Is it worms, or maybe the wood is not Walnut but maybe Mahogany? I don't recall seeing them on Walnut.

Anyway, I think I'll contact IMA and see if they can send a replacement screw for the one missing on the buttplate. And get the DVD...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.