Gunboards Forums banner

P. 38 CHROME OR NICKEL PLATED

2K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  Big Coulee 
#1 ·
I have an all matching numbers Mauser svw 45 P.38 that was chrome or nickel plated many years ago. All parts fit together very nicely and the action is very tight, the bore is mirror bright, the single action trigger is about 4 pounds pull and the mag is stamped P.38v with the eagle over 155mon the spine. Over all it is a n excellent "shooter" P.38. But that is all it is. The grip panels are a semi shiny black color. Below are some photos of the P.38. I'd like to know an approximate value of the P.38 in today's crazy military WWII gun market.
I keep the P.38 in a canvas cammo. holster with an inside water proof lining that has "Pist. P 1" stamped inside the flap.
I'd appreciate any and all estimates of it value. Thanks

Something a little strange is that the inside surfaces of the major parts are not chrome plated but remain the original blue color.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
schutzen ----- Thanks for your reply. I'd be more interested in removing the existing chrome plating on the P.38 now. If I could get it removed I'd like to have the piece re-finished in two tone (blue and parkerized) as some were back in 1945. Any ideas on how I could do that ? Thanks

#5 ·
It was popular in the early post war years to nickel plate war trophy pistols. I see this done more often to German pistols than Japanese. Most guys today turn their noses up at these, but they can be stripped down and refinished to their correct blued finish.

Coulee..........is your SVW 45 GERMAN waffen amp marked, or is it FRENCH star marked??

If it is a German built pistol, then I would have it stripped down and have it restored to a parkerized, and or dual finish it would have had in 1945.

#8 ·
It was popular in the early post war years to nickel plate war trophy pistols. I see this done more often to German pistols than Japanese. Most guys today turn their noses up at these, but they can be stripped down and refinished to their correct blued finish.

Coulee..........is your SVW 45 GERMAN waffen amp marked, or is it FRENCH star marked??

If it is a German built pistol, then I would have it stripped down and have it restored to a parkerized, and or dual finish it would have had in 1945.
Thanks everyone for your comments. I appreciate your looking at my post and pictures of the P.38 and each of your suggestions. I figured the P.38's value in today's market would be about $500 to 550. That is about $200 more than I gave for it a few years ago. Thanks for your input.

panzer ----- The SVW 45 is German Waffen Amp marked and I'm giving some serious thought to having it restored to it original two tone (blued & parkerized) finish. I know it currently has no collector's value with its current finish and would not have any value but as a shooter if I have it re-finished. I'd never try to hood wink anyone into thinking it is original finish if I have it re-finished. I'll just pass it on to kids and grand kids making sure they know it is NOT original and tell them NEVER attempt doing that. Thanks for your advise.

#6 ·
Local pawn shop has a Walther p-38 nickeled. They have had it for awhile asking 695. I can't say it's all matching as I have not asked to examine it.
If it shoots good as is I would leave it. Hard core collectors would not be interested in it and if stripped and refinished they still wouldn't be interested. As it sits it is a good conversation piece with people as to alot of GIs having had guns nickeled.

#7 ·
Hard core collectors would not be interested in it and if stripped and refinished they still wouldn't be interested. As it sits it is a good conversation piece with people as to alot of GIs having had guns nickeled.
I’d agree with this. It’s satisfying to see something restored back to original and I completely understand that. Just not sure if it’d be worth throwing the money at it. You might be better off selling it and putting that money and whatever restoration would’ve cost towards one in original condition.

A good shooter has got to be worth around $500 in todays market I’d guess. Maybe more if it Transforms and wants to take over the earth. 😜

#9 ·
I have one that was a vet bringback, I'm of the opinion that it is, what it is, and that is a part of the history of warfare, the victors taking the spoils off the losers.

Sad we don't let our vets bring home war trophies after we make them risk their lives.

That said, if its never going to worth more or less, why bother in the first place?

Keep it as part of our history, and leave it as is.

#12 ·
The best option is to send the gun to a professional firearms refinishing service to have them determine what the plating is, then have them electro-strip it.
This will do a better job of totally removing the plating and any copper or iron under plating, and in the long run, by the time you buy the chemicals to do a strip job, it will usually cost less.

Hazards of doing a home strip job are potential damage to the steel that would require polishing to remove, and failing to get all of it off.
Fail to get it ALL off and when you attempt to apply a chemical finish you get a job that looks like the gun has white freckles, which is tiny bits of plating left in crevices.

Also, the right service can finish it in whatever you want.
Some services may not offer parkerizing so you may want to send those parts to another service.
Some good services to do an electro-strip and refinish.........

Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing | Crystal River, FL

Hard Chrome Plating & Electroless Nickel Plating, Armalloy & Gun Bluing by Mahovsky's Metalife

#16 ·
The best option is to send the gun to a professional firearms refinishing service to have them determine what the plating is, then have them electro-strip it.
This will do a better job of totally removing the plating and any copper or iron under plating, and in the long run, by the time you buy the chemicals to do a strip job, it will usually cost less.

Hazards of doing a home strip job are potential damage to the steel that would require polishing to remove, and failing to get all of it off.
Fail to get it ALL off and when you attempt to apply a chemical finish you get a job that looks like the gun has white freckles, which is tiny bits of plating left in crevices.

Also, the right service can finish it in whatever you want.
Some services may not offer parkerizing so you may want to send those parts to another service.
Some good services to do an electro-strip and refinish.........

Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing | Crystal River, FL

Hard Chrome Plating & Electroless Nickel Plating, Armalloy & Gun Bluing by Mahovsky's Metalife
dfaris ------ Thanks for your info. on places where I'd be able to have work done on my P.38. I've sent them emails to ask about what I'd like to have done and the cost to do it. I'm not real sure yet if I'll have the work done, With all the advise that I've received against having the P.38 re-finished because of some historical concerns I might just leave it as is for now. I'll see what Ford's & Mahovsky's have to say before I decide. Thanks again.

#14 ·
I would keep it as-is and preserve the history of that particular item. There are guys who collect all those plated guns. They are part of the history of the guys that brought them back.

#15 ·
I agree on your assessment of value Big Coulee.
Side note I was just given a Japanese Type 2 Paratrooper Rifle from a Vets family. They didn't have any kids and knew I collect Military items so they wanted it to go to someone they knew would care for it. Anyhow the soldier at some point had it nickeled. I am going to leave it as is, the rifle tells a story and It actually attracts more attention as it sits than if it was still blued.

#17 ·
I agree on your assessment of value Big Coulee.
Side note I was just given a Japanese Type 2 Paratrooper Rifle from a Vets family. They didn't have any kids and knew I collect Military items so they wanted it to go to someone they knew would care for it. Anyhow the soldier at some point had it nickeled. I am going to leave it as is, the rifle tells a story and It actually attracts more attention as it sits than if it was still blued.
Pardt ------ Thanks for your reply and your assessment of my P.38's value. I'm glad you were able to pick up the Jap rifle and have it to show to folks who appreciate such things. Have you ever fired the rifle ? I suppose ammo for it might be tough to find and it could be a collector's item itself. If I remember the para. rifles have a folding stock and are quite rare. Hang on to it and pass it on to your kids and grand kids. Thanks again.

#19 ·
I have 3 non-factory plated FN pistols - a 1900, 1906 Vest-Pocket, and a Waffen-marked 1922. My take on this is that if the plating is making you crazy, it's your pistol. But regardless of whether you leave the pistol as-is, or reblue it, It's still a refinished gun and it won't enhance the value. Also, while I would never have a gun plated, I kind-of like my 'shiny' guns. As for my Waffen-marked 1922, it also came with clear plastic 'sweetheart' grips, which I thought were tacky. So I replaced them with a set of repro FN grips. But I still have the sweetheart grips and now there seems to be some increasing historical interest in these plated GI souvenirs.

Happy Motoring, Mark

#20 ·
Dr ----- I do appreciate your time and trouble to look at my posting and make a comment. However the plating is not "making me crazy". I would just like to have the pistol's appearance look like it might have when it was issued to some soldier or at least rolled out Mauser's door back in 1945. It is a svw 45 P.38 and is 100% original except for the chrome finish. All numbers match on the parts numbered and the bore is mint, the grip panels are very good and the action is tight. It is a good shooter pistol and I realize that is all it will ever be, left like it is or refinished to something else. I've always liked the looks of the dual tone P.38's I've seen that were finished like that in the closing days of the Third Reich. And I have always wanted one. I think this P.38 with a refinish job will be as close as I'll ever get to having one, especially at today's outlandish prices.
Apparently you like your "shiny guns" the way they are now so keep them like they are and enjoy them to the fullest. You are fortunate to have them. I suppose there is an increasing demand for a GI's souvenir "shiny" just like there is an increasing demand for all kinds of WWI & WWII weapons of all kinds with refinished or even with a worn original finish.
Thanks again for looking and your remarks.

#21 · (Edited)
Dr ----- I do appreciate your time and trouble to look at my posting and make a comment. However the plating is not "making me crazy". I would just like to have the pistol's appearance look like it might have when it was issued to some soldier or at least rolled out Mauser's door back in 1945. It is a svw 45 P.38 and is 100% original except for the chrome finish. All numbers match on the parts numbered and the bore is mint, the grip panels are very good and the action is tight. It is a good shooter pistol and I realize that is all it will ever be, left like it is or refinished to something else. I've always liked the looks of the dual tone P.38's I've seen that were finished like that in the closing days of the Third Reich. And I have always wanted one. I think this P.38 with a refinish job will be as close as I'll ever get to having one, especially at today's outlandish prices.
Apparently you like your "shiny guns" the way they are now so keep them like they are and enjoy them to the fullest. You are fortunate to have them. I suppose there is an increasing demand for a GI's souvenir "shiny" just like there is an increasing demand for all kinds of WWI & WWII weapons of all kinds with refinished or even with a worn original finish.
Thanks again for looking and your remarks.
I apologise if I sounded critical. I can see your incentive to want a P38 in an as-issued finish. I'm fortunate that I do have other examples of the 1906 and 1922 (but not the 1900) FN pistols in the original blue, acquired long before "today's outlandish prices".
My only P38 is a late wartime frame, under a thicker postwar slide. (I read the late postwar slides had iffy reliability)
So also mainly a shooter, though at least it's not plated.
Then, I have a very nice black-finish alloy-frame surplus postwar-police P1 with the reinforcing bolt.

Happy Motoring, Mark D.

#22 ·
Dr. ----- No apologies' necessary we each have our own likes and dislikes. I've wanted a dual tone P.38 for a long time and only wish I could afford an original but at todays prices I can't. So I'll be satisfied if I can get my svw 45 P.38 refinished to what it might have been originally, even though it is now and will continually be only a shooter. If I'm able to get it refinished in a dual tone I'll post pics of it in its new clothes here for the rest of the folks to see. Thanks again for looking.
I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting and looking at your shooter P.38. Have fun with it.

#24 ·
Everyone ----- I talked with Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing this morning about refinishing my svw 45 P.38. I asked them about removing the current chrome / nickel plating on the P.38 and refinishing the pistol with a blued barrel and phosphorous (parkerized dual tone) on the slide and frame of the pistol. They told me they could do that work easily. The charge would be as follows:
Remove existing chrome finish ---- $ 25.00
Parkerize frame and slide ------------ $ 275.00
Total $ 300.00.

If I might want lettering / numbers re-stamped that would be extra. I might have them re-stamp the P.38, and the svw 45 but that would be all. I think that price is well within my price range and very reasonable. I plan to send the pistol to them and have the work done soon. Thanks to defariswheel for providing their contact info. to me.

#25 ·
I talked with Ford'sGuns.com this morning who told me my chrome plated svw 45 P.38 could be stripped of the chrome plating and the dual tone re-finish applied for $300. To re-stamp the letters "P.38 svw 45" would be $5 per letter. I'd be able to ship the piece by UPS both ways. I was afraid I'd have to go through a FFL dealer and that could cost about $25 plus shipping. So I believe I'll get my piece off fairly soon. I appreciate the help finding a source for this work.

#26 ·
That is an attractive price for such work, please do keep us posted on the process and the end result.

As to the comment about the interest in "souvenir" plated firearms, i think that trend started some time ago.
Back in the early days of my own interest in building my collection these plated guns would show up from time to time, mostly the reaction was "Meh....." and the shopkeepers would let them go for a song.
Fast forward a decade or so and the interest seemed much higher and the prices reflected it.
About that time I was a regular attendee at a local auction house that was building their reputation, because they were new and their auctions were lightly attended there were often good deals to be had.
One auction had a Luger in in it that had been chromed, it was also in pieces in a cigar box.
I had checked it in the catalog as "mildly interesting".
Due to the outcome of previous lots that I had high interest in, I had some ready cash so proceeded to bid.
That thing took off like a rocket and soon left me in the dust.
Two bidders (both know to me to be dealers) soon ran it up into the stratosphere, one eventually gave it up.
Not being a Luger afficianado at the time (or now, for that matter), I could only assume that the original pistol was something special in the Luger world.
A rare year of manufacture or version or whatever, nothing else would have driven those dealers (normally a couple of skinflints) to go that crazy.
Certainly not the chromed finish, as I said, interest in those type pistols was on the rise but not to that level.
I always hoped that they realized a positive outcome for their investment.
To finish off, the auction house became very successful, so much so that I can no longer afford the catalogs never mind the product.

#27 ·
Bob ----- Thanks for the lengthy comments above. I believe early next week I'll send off the P.38 for the work I've described. Yes after I get it back I'll post pics here. Ever since I saw a dual tone P.38 about 25 or 30 years ago I've wanted one but originals were so expensive I just had to look and wait. One of the primary reasons I picked up the chrome plated one a few years back was with the thought I'd have it dual toned some day. Another reason I picked it up was its good price at the time, about $400. All serial numbers matched on the gun and that was another reason. Anyway I'm glad I have at last the chance to add to my accumulation at least a reasonable facsimile of something I've wanted to add for quite awhile.
I know what you mean about auctions. I very seldom go to an auction but there was one in my area a year ago that I attended. I looked the guns over before the auction started and saw a 30-30 bolt action Savage rifle on one of the tables. The bluing was about 50%, there were a few very small dings and scratches in the stock but the bore was mirror bright and the 3 round mag. was in very good condition, maybe it was a new mag. A friend of mine in high school had one just like it and I've always wanted one after shooting his. Anyway I bid $400 and got the sweet little 30-30. I refinished the stock and had the action and barrel re-blued by a local gun smith. I asked the smith not to buff anything, just dip blue the action and barrel. Which he did. It shoots very well and I might take a whitetail deer with it this fall.
At the same auction a Stoeger (sp) in stainless steel went for $900 in some crazy bidding. I bid $500 but that was as high as I went on it.

I'll post photos of the P.38 in its new dual tone outfit when I get it back..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.