Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally found and paid for a P-26, thanks to a fellow board member.
I just tore it down, and it has the "normal" P-26 features including the S and the AV1 markings. What fascinated me was the Soviet crest that was on the receiver. When I took it apart, it was marked 1937. How many of the P series rifles were made with m91-30 receivers? I would assume this was made after the winter war?
I will try to post pictures soon.
JMG

Added the below pictures- the stock shows its two color look a bit easier now.

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some pics of the rifle

Here is a quick shot of the P26.
The second which has a pit of flash glare, is the stock with one of the largest buttstock repairs that I have seen. It seems that the majority of the stock is American Black Walnut with an extensive birch splice.
The barrel is in the white, even so far as the front sight, which is blued, but contrasts nicely with the barrel. The receiver markingseen in the receiver picture shows a late ishevsk wreath and the tang date is 1937.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
Here is a quick shot of the P26.
The second which has a pit of flash glare, is the stock with one of the largest buttstock repairs that I have seen. It seems that the majority of the stock is American Black Walnut with an extensive birch splice.
The barrel is in the white, even so far as the front sight, which is blued, but contrasts nicely with the barrel. The receiver markingseen in the receiver picture shows a late ishevsk wreath and the tang date is 1937.
Are you sure the tang date is 1937? A 1937 produced receiver would be round.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a blurred stamping, so it could be 1931 (probably is due to that timing), I am not positive and I have reassembled it back together. Any particular pictures that anyone would like to see? I can take them in the next day or two.
JMG

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Interesting to see a Soviet crest on the receiver, indeed on a P26. Don't see many P series rifles around anyways. But that is interesting. I'd be inclined to concur with Relic's assessment as it is probably a 1 instead of a 7. Sometimes the 1 has a long European style top to it and can look like a 7 sometimes. There were no hex receivers in production at that time as mentioned. But if it is indeed a 7 it could have possibly been restamped from a different date? Definitely some pics of the tang would help. Since the Finns put it together, receivers, parts, stocks etc. could really be from anything at any time.

·
Diamond Member
7,294 Posts
I believe the Izhevsk Factory used that stamp on the receiver from the early/mid twenties to 1928 (Tula from late '26 to 1928). No big diff either way......awesome rifle. Denny

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Any tang pics?

I suppose it could be possible it's a 20s dated tang too. Finns used what they could to put stuff together if this rifle had the barrel mated to another receiver at some point. I'd think the only way the Finns would have got a Soviet crest marked receiver was if they captured it from the Russians during the Winter/Continuation wars anyways. Maybe a P series happened to go back and the barrel that was on this Soviet marked rifle was damaged or some other way unserviceable. May never know, but still a unique find. First P series that I can say I have seen with a Soviet crest on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts