Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received two large packs of 35 m/m photos from one of our new Forum members , " ozarkhillbilly2 " . Every thing on his School carbine # S.214 is matching , correct bottom mounted sling swivels , straight bolt & originally modified for a bayonet lug . Unfortunately , Bubba did the worst hack job on the bayonet lug I have ever seen & don't know if it was numbered or not . Note the typical arsenal repair to the crack in the butt stock at the bottom butt plate screw . Looks like it was screwed together & has putty or a wood plug covering the screw . The handguard is cracked , but nothing much you can do about that . The stock has been sanded & refinished . No cartouche on the wrist of the stock . Complete stock , not chopped . No drilled & tapped holes for a peep sight . Note the rear sight spring is matching numbered on the bottom where it cannot be seen . The original inverted vee front sight blade has been replaced with a M38 inverted vee front blade , probably to get a 100 yard zero . The Unit disc reads the 6th Regiment of Infantry and "S" means used for practice with live ammunition . Note the front swivel has been forced to match in the arsenal . This also has the barrel extension required for importation to meet the 18" barrel length in the '50's and '60's . Still a RARE School carbine .

Congratulation to ozarkhillbilly2 for finding this carbine !!!!!!!!!!

More photos in the next post .

Attachments

·
9,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More photos of # S.214 School carbine

Here are the last photos .

Attachments

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
certainly a rare bird. I would say that a replacement bayonet lug would be in order for it, considering that there is hardly anything original about the one left in place. I am certain that that bolt would clean up nicely too with some time invested. Stock and handguard repairs - well, if not a shooter, probably could be left as is - kind of adds character from where I sit.
Really a great find! Congratulations!

·
9,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He has a HVA M94/14 bayonet lug in his hands . If it fits without any problems , that is the best step in restoring it as imported .

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I was hunting one time in Pennsylvania and was just getting in my blue bomb when a father and his son walked by. The son at first glance was carrying a Swedish mauser carbine. They stopped and we started talking and I asked to look at the carbine. After unloading it the son passed it to me. All numbers matching!!. Told the boy to take very good care of it and even back then they were fetching good money. Bore in the little carbine was almost in mint condition. The father asked about how much it was worth and I estimated about $450 back then. He was suprised as he paid nowhere near that price. I told him just to not walk into any gun store and try to sell it. Find someone who collects military firearms and he'd mostly get a better price. Every so often I still wonder what happened to that little carbine. Frank

·
Registered
858 Posts
I was hunting one time in Pennsylvania and was just getting in my blue bomb when a father and his son walked by. The son at first glance was carrying a Swedish mauser carbine. They stopped and we started talking and I asked to look at the carbine. After unloading it the son passed it to me. All numbers matching!!. Told the boy to take very good care of it and even back then they were fetching good money. Bore in the little carbine was almost in mint condition. The father asked about how much it was worth and I estimated about $450 back then. He was suprised as he paid nowhere near that price. I told him just to not walk into any gun store and try to sell it. Find someone who collects military firearms and he'd mostly get a better price. Every so often I still wonder what happened to that little carbine. Frank

GREAT story. This kind of thing is wonderful to read about. tnks for sharing.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Frank, any chance you remember the SN on the Swedish Mauser Carbine? Under the heading of "wierder things have happened," I used to live in Langhorne, PA., before I started collecting firearms, not too far from some pretty good hunting grounds. Like you, I too, hope that little carbine found a good home. ozarkhillbilly2

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
There was a trailer park up near Newfoundland where we had a trailer for summer use. I used it for hunting,was about ten minutes from tonowanda (spelling) state park. Used to park on the side of the road and just walk in. Sorry about the serial number my memory just isn't that good anymore. Froze my rear end off there one year -5 below and only lasted about 5 hours before I called it a day and went back to the trailer. When I hunted my uncle's place near Honesdale they had a hunt club that had leased the hunting rights but family always could hunt regardless. This was about the late 60's after I got out of the Navy. Krags,chopped up springfields and even a pretty nice looking 99 savage. They were there to put meat on the table. Sadly after my aunt and uncle passed the farm was sold. The trailer park was called Breezewood acres if I remember right. Frank

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good to hear back from you. I can readily see why you were impressed with the little school carbine back then. I just ran across one recently, and after some 50 + years of being married to the same woman, I fell in love all over again----with the school carbine, I should add very quickly, should she see this over my shoulder. oh2

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
All those old timers had was cut down military rifles except for the guy with the 99 savage. They were kind of cold towards me at first. But one gent asked if I was in the army cause of the jacket I was wearing. No I said, just got out of the navy. He said how old are you, my reply was had my 21st birthday last october. Things went better later that day. Their method of driving dear kinda put the fear of God in me. Half the guys would form a line in the woods and the other half would go way back in the woods and chase the deer towards the other guys. They got a couple deer that way while I was up there. Scary to say the least. Sad to say all of my aunts and uncles are gone now, they were some pretty fine folks. Do have a bunch of cousins though. Haven't been up that way in close to 20 years. My cousin took me into a local gin mill and when I walked into the place everyone stopped what they were doing looking at the stranger(ME) until my cousin introduced me. Frank

·
Registered
58 Posts
The good the, the bad, and the ugly. That best describes this little carbine in its previous life, a near death condition as you can see from the photos and description in the previous thread. Look at the photos and description you see put out on
3-11-2014. Swede and several others went over it with a fine tooth comb. The advice was nothing short of a miracle . It, hard work, and tender loving cared transformed this little carbine back to its near perfect condition This near perfect carbine can be seen in the photos that are with it in the Gun Broker for sale section. It is for sale under the heading "School Carbine
Swedish Mauser" https://www.gunbroker.com/item/801831704

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Ozarkhillbilly 2, I'm afraid that the serial number on that young mans carbine is lost to history. That was some 25 years ago. Back in those days you just pulled off the side of the road parked the car and headed off into the woods. back pack with some PB&J sandwhiches some trail mix and a big thermos full of tea. Tonowanda state park was where we hunted. Went to the park and they gave me a large map with all its features. The norhteast was a great place for mil surp firearms. Down here in Louisiana not so much. Haven't gone to a show down here in months. What with fewer and fewer mil surps being imported. And most of the time the dealers will not take off the wire ties so you can check the condition of the bore.Used commercial rifles selling at almost the same price as their new unfired ones in the dealers shelves. And of course just some absolute junk. There was one dealer whohad all the metal reblued, stocks sanded and advertising them as "Museum Quality". Frank

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey Samamara, It was good to hear from you again. I agree with you about the little school carbine up in PA and the probably lose of the serial numbers. Wish I had known then what I know now I might have been more diligent. For 15 years I lived in a place just north of Philidelphia called Langhorne and would like to think it possible that our paths could have crossed, inasmuch as I spent considerable time in the woods and might have found a fellow hunter. Oh well, as you said, the #s are probably lost for ever. On a more current tho't I must say the situation as you described it there in Louisiana is about the same here in Arkansas, just North of you a few miles Are you any where Baton Rouge? I lived for a while between Baton Rouge and New Orleans the moverd back here to home in the Ozarks. Good to hear from you. Sincerely OH2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.