Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maltby No4 Mk1 purchased from Old Western Scrounger. Nice shape, no buggered screws. Bore is immaculate and a very nice trigger pull. I don't buy the "French resistance" thing and do feel these are a few hundred overpriced for the current market owing to the repro mag. That said for me it was well worth the price, very happy with the rifle which is certainly nicer than the "Abyssinian treasures" coming out of Africa.
Wood Musical instrument Knife Blade Plant

Wood Trigger Handgun holster Gun accessory Gun barrel
Hand Wood Finger Everyday carry Wood stain
Bumper Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Auto part
Plant Office supplies Tree Gas Electric blue
Wood Grass Gas Auto part Metal
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Grass Close-up
Wood Material property Hunting knife Wood stain Hardwood
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Trigger Gas
Wood Shotgun Plant Wood stain Tints and shades
Wood Musical instrument Knife Blade Plant

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
So the PP markings are not the serial number of the rifle - it has its original (Maltby prefix 1) serial number and the PP number was a (sorta) 'rack number' probably applied by the French 'Police'.

I note that this is also one of the incorrectly marked Maltby rifles and from the batch of (allegedly) 20,000 that were marked up as being No4 Mk1* despite the fact that Maltby never made No4 Mk1*

No one has ever been able to come up with any reason why they should be marked Mk1*, why would Maltby even know about; Mk1* rifles as they were not in any way involved in Mk1* production or the use of Mk1* parts.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Can't view their website from outside the US,but from what i have read elsewhere they have these rifles priced between $1000-1400 or thereabouts.Considering the condition of them,I consider that fair pricing, they are basically a time-warp rifle in completely original as manufactured condition (apart from the magazines, of course).Highly desirable rifles and worth every dollar of what they are asking,IMHO.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Have they changed the import marking requirements yet again?

No caliber or country of origin?
Marked below the barrel (which is better than dot matrix billboards) and not on the receiver/action body?

·
Registered
21,667 Posts
Too bad the markings could not be put upon the barrel in an area under the front hand guard. In fact if offered that way, I'm sure some here would pay 50 bucks premium for so marked.

Nevertheless, if NCReptile bought one for personal collection, that validates top shelf condition and the mark in the sand is No.4 values are now well over 1000 dollars which moves the No.4Mk2 rifles originally 1100 to 1400 well down the road of pain to the wallet.

Time for the "Coulda Shoulda Woulda " folks to jump in here and tell us how long before the turn of the century how cheap these rifles were but they were snoooooooooooooooooozing. Well yeah, snooze ya lose.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I watched the Forgotten Weapons video on these and he seems to states very confidently they were airdropped to the French Resistance specifically before being turned in to the police after the war. However, I found a video where a guy is interviewing someone from Navy Arms in their warehouse and the Navy Arms guy just says "WE BELIEVE these were used by the French Resistance", he doesn't appear to have any solid evidence that these were used by the Resistance before Normandy and that they aren't just war aid rifles given to regular French troops after the invasion. I suppose they may be a mix of both, after all we do know that's the Allies did drop many arms and equipment to the French Resistance, but I don't think there's any way to know for sure the story on each rifle. Overall I'd say these rifles are priced fairly, given what the Irish contract 1955 guns go for, and the fact that we do know that these are definitely French sued and that they haven't been imported before, at least to my knowledge. I've never heard anyone talk about a French marked No4 before.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I watched the Forgotten Weapons video on these and he seems to states very confidently they were airdropped to the French Resistance specifically before being turned in to the police after the war. However, I found a video where a guy is interviewing someone from Navy Arms in their warehouse and the Navy Arms guy just says "WE BELIEVE these were used by the French Resistance", he doesn't appear to have any solid evidence that these were used by the Resistance before Normandy and that they aren't just war aid rifles given to regular French troops after the invasion. I suppose they may be a mix of both, after all we do know that's the Allies did drop many arms and equipment to the French Resistance, but I don't think there's any way to know for sure the story on each rifle. Overall I'd say these rifles are priced fairly, given what the Irish contract 1955 guns go for, and the fact that we do know that these are definitely French sued and that they haven't been imported before, at least to my knowledge. I've never heard anyone talk about a French marked No4 before.

In another thread, I made a complete list / inventory of all of the rifles that Navy Arms had on their site. This is circumstantial, but they were all 1944 vintage, perhaps pre-invasion.

It was important to document this somewhere because these rifles are now scattered to the 4 winds.

Perhaps there is merit to @ForgottenWeapons ' video.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
All I believe about these rifles is that they are #4 Enfield rifles and they came from Europe somehwere.....

If they were from the French resistance why were they not used?

Why were the bolts and mags stored separately from the rifles?

If they were under govt control there would have been periodic inspections of these weapons?

if they had several Thousand #4's where is all the ammo they were supposed to use for them?

Where are the bayos?

You get the point...... I dont believe a word of any of the air dropped stories..... Just my 2 cents......

1 - 20 of 96 Posts