Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone wanted this one pretty bad. Love the cartouches! A buddy of mine has one with no serial number.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=481412649

I've never heard of a US marked NEW. I don't like the double struck flaming bombs on this one though.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=487044459

Another interesting Mosin, M38 finn marked.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=480722138

Another expensive M38. This guy must have a lot of nice stuff. The seller's name looks familiar so I'm sure he's on here somewhere.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=488077183

Polish M44 for over $800... What?? I remember when these things were $40 back in 2000-2002.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=475536484

·
Registered
365 Posts
These days the sky's the limit. 1917 remington new unissued .stateside US rifle .flaming bomb cartouche is correct on US military use m91s.im not at all sure on the stamp but stock is 100% right.a collector had to have it.ir may go into a museum on this buy.NRA would be a rightful place for this caliber of quality M91 Remington. Sapishka

·
Gold Bullet member
11,926 Posts
These days the sky's the limit. 1917 remington new unissued .stateside US rifle .flaming bomb cartouche is correct on US military use m91s.im not at all sure on the stamp but stock is 100% right.a collector had to have it.ir may go into a museum on this buy.NRA would be a rightful place for this caliber of quality M91 Remington. Sapishka
You really believe that the rifle in question is so special, such a unique or pristine example, that it merits encapsulation in a museum showcase? :confused:

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.

Many
of the surviving Remington Mosins are in far, far nicer condition than this mediocre example.

The $5000 paid is less a reflection of the magnificence of the rifle itself and more the mindless, cult-like adoration of the ethically questionable messiah who sold it. The lucky buyer paid about five times more than this rifle is reasonably worth.

And I'll bet the seller didn't even include a genuine autographed gray blanket so the buyer could continue to bask in its radiant glow. :laugh:

That's my opinion and I am proud to have the moral clarity to call it like I see it no matter how much it annoys the gray man's Gun Board's cheering section. :)

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,709 Posts
Give it a rest.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,926 Posts
Give it a rest.
John:

Are you acting as a moderator when you make this command?

Or are you simply expressing your personal opinion about the value of my post, which by the way I find perfectly acceptable? Not correct, not reasoned, but acceptable in the course of discussion nonetheless.

I said nothing unreasonable and nothing that I cannot justify with screenshots and PDFs of dozens of highly questionable auctions by the gentleman in question.

Is on topic opinion no longer allowed?

This is a sincere question.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
The $5000 paid is less a reflection of the magnificence of the rifle itself and more the mindless, cult-like adoration of the ethically questionable messiah who sold it. The lucky buyer paid about five times more than this rifle is reasonably worth.
For once, I have to agree with you. THERE IS a sucker born every minute.

Bill

·
Gold Bullet member
11,926 Posts
For once, I have to agree with you. THERE IS a sucker born every minute.

Bill
Only once?

Wish it was more, but I'll take what I can get. ;)

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,670 Posts

·
Copper Bullet Member
91 Posts
One thing can be said for sure after browsing his auctions over the last couple years. He does sell a lot of unique Mosin's that don't hit the market very often. I've got no qualms over the three or four times I've done business with him.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
One thing can be said for sure after browsing his auctions over the last couple years. He does sell a lot of unique Mosin's that don't hit the market very often. I've got no qualms over the three or four times I've done business with him.
But most of the stuff he sells isn't that unique or special. The only thing truly unique about his auctions usually is the price people pay.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
:) For that kind of money, you just may see two/three of my rifles posted on GB for sale.....I could use a new car...mine are old...run good...but old...;) Besides I take better pictures...:)

Pahtu.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,039 Posts
Only the first M38 has the short shoulder and handguard (distance between the rear sight and rear barrel band). And given that it is also a first year carbine, I'm very surprised it only went for $1,240. These don't show up very often at all.

For expanded info on the M38 stock topic, visit the following link.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?403875-M38-Early-First-Pattern-vs-Second-Pattern-Stock
As Martin says - the 1939 went for a very good price, actually - they are very very rare.

And the flaming bomb NEW is also correct.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Hmm... I may have to invest in a grey blanket. I have an unfired NEW MN-91 that looks like it just came off the line. Never thought I'd sell it when I thought it was "only" worth a grand or two, but FIVE GRAND? That would pay for all the materials for the garage roof I'm doing! I hope my old-timer's kicks in and I forget this train of thought before I get home!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I follow some of his auctions and it usually seems something is off/out of place. Mismatched patina on parts, overuse of white crayon on markings like hes trying to hide something,etc, etc. Check out the bolt renumbering on the SA M38, the font looks weird and different than any ive ever seen on a Finn rifle. Besides that it looks good to me but theres always something off about his stuff. I would never buy anything from the gray blanket man.

·
Administrator
8,261 Posts
I've bought a couple of rifles from him and got them below market value. Seems like some of what he sells creates a feeding frenzy that just drives up the prices, nobody to blame then but the bidders.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,658 Posts
I have had one dealing with him. It was my SCW dragoon, http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?334091-SCW-dragoon-new-pics

I think I got it for around $450 or so. I think it is a good piece and I got a fair price. I don't usually participate in these "grey blanket" threads, I have seen things go undisclosed and some obviously humped rifles being sold but in the end you shouldn't pay top dollar unless you know what you are getting. ultimately he puts a sufficient number of pictures up for someone to make a good decision on what they are buying. If they pay "too much" for something that isn't any of my business.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,050 Posts
Hmm... I may have to invest in a grey blanket. I have an unfired NEW MN-91 that looks like it just came off the line. Never thought I'd sell it when I thought it was "only" worth a grand or two, but FIVE GRAND? That would pay for all the materials for the garage roof I'm doing! I hope my old-timer's kicks in and I forget this train of thought before I get home!
In the 70s & 80s $200.00 was tops for a mint Remington.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts