Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Platinum Bullet Member
1,978 Posts
The pleas, trade offers (current and future) and outright threats to divest oneself of "Ham and MFers" were epic.
The pleas, trade offers (current and future) and outright threats to divest oneself of "Ham and MFers" were epic.
Yea, the LNs would look and throw them back yelling, “ you numba 10 GI”

· Platinum Bullet Member
1,978 Posts
Army mess hall "Swiss steak" obviously was not soylent green. Only a few experienced army cooks could beat this beef(?) into sumission where it was something edible. Well, it might have been edible, but it was not chewable. We used to joke that the army would have saved a fortune by using "Swiss steak" to make truck tires* because they would never wear out.

*Nostalgia: pounding on a deuce & a half wheel with sledge hammers to break the bead of a tire that needed to be replaced. And of course, the ironically named safety ring that could kill a mechanic.
You ALWAYS turned any tire with a ring , ring down when inflating. Once one sees what a flying ring can/ will do is all it takes. Safer to work on tracks, lol.

· Platinum Bullet Member
1,978 Posts
During the summer in the early 60s my Dad ( timber manager)would take me with him to check logging operations. One time he showed me a 6”-8” tree that had been cut off Clean at the stump by ring on early rubber tired “ skidder” tire loosing a ring. Another time learned that a logger had been killed by a ring. Knew before went in the Army.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts