Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Banned
407 Posts
Nothing like it and imported all the way from Iowa, the epi center of Turkey Loaf. Nothing too good for our troops and for sure, nothing too good for them on Thanksgiving ...LOL.

Actually, the military goes out of its way on Thanksgiving and Xmas to get great hot meals to the troops, I give the high marks for that epic effort.
I'm surprised there's no corn meal in it.

· Banned
407 Posts
Thanksgiving 1967 I was at Bu Dop, SF Camp in III corps, where Mike would later be stationed. They had a battery of artillery from the 9th Inf Div there, and the 9th had said if their cooks could use the SF camp kitchen they would add the SF personnel to their food list. Had a great turkey dinner thanks to those cooks from the 9th Div. John
Were you there in March of the same year? Ever meet Master Sergeant Hosking or Lt. Throckmorton? A Bad Day at Bu Dop

· Banned
407 Posts
As much as we like to complain about Army chow, it was a step up, at least for me. I grew up poor and my Aunt Margaret who was a member of the Salvation Army kept us well supplied with food donated to help feed the poor. Unbelievably, one can actually develop a taste for freezer burnt Moose meat and moldy cheese and donuts and can learn to enjoy the piquant flavors of the various molds. Being forced to digest all sorts of sub-standard food held me in good stead as no matter where I was deployed, I never had so much as a loose bowel movement from eating off the local economy while other members of my unit were hospitalized with the screaming shits.

· Banned
407 Posts
Army mess hall "Swiss steak" obviously was not soylent green. Only a few experienced army cooks could beat this beef(?) into sumission where it was something edible. Well, it might have been edible, but it was not chewable. We used to joke that the army would have saved a fortune by using "Swiss steak" to make truck tires* because they would never wear out.

*Nostalgia: pounding on a deuce & a half wheel with sledge hammers to break the bead of a tire that needed to be replaced. And of course, the ironically named safety ring that could kill a mechanic.
Ever replace the track pads on an M113?

Reactions: 63H20
1 - 5 of 5 Posts