Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
346 Posts
Well, us Grunts were surprised there was any Turkey meat in it ! However,
it was somewhat edible unlike some of the other C ration offerings...some of
which I'm sure was Soylent Green.
The pleas, trade offers (current and future) and outright threats to divest oneself of "Ham and MFers" were epic.

· Registered
346 Posts
I noticed the case you posted also had 'ham and eggs, chopped' which was almost as bad as the ham and mothers. I remember during Tet when all they would have in the mess hall was C-rations, they would remove the entrees and throw them in a trash can filled with water and an immersion heater and as you went through the chow line they would hand you a box and then reach into the hot water and give you a hot entree...and it was luck of the draw as to what you received. I remember a couple of weeks of that before the real food started coming in again.
Glad you made it out of that mess. Welcome home, brother.

· Registered
346 Posts
Chow to the field, the Army made it happen for Turkey Day and Xmas. This is got to be 65 or 66
photo...non subdued patches and 1st Model Jungle uniforms on those 5th Special Forces troopers.
View attachment 4042138

I might note, comments of some of you, praising some C rat menu items clearly shows dementia setting in !! LOL LOL
The LRPRs which followed were fabulously light, but you had to carry extra water (couldn't always count on sourcing it locally) and didn't have enough calories to sustain a child. Good spot on the patches; note white t-shirts as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts