Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You guys were killing me! Got to sell something now. That's OK... honored place in the safe reserved for it. My theory is one of first day's batch used to train arsenal workers, etc...

I don't think these were made for schools. BUT, maybe a cadet rifle for the primary military academy versus normal universities? Anybody still have the translation on the DC?

Love the SN.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=81571073

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm glad it's going to a good home. I was trying to figure out who Arisaka99 was.

I considered bidding on it. Once it went over 1300, I had to pass on it, mainly due to the fact that I've been buying rifles, pistols, and bayos left and right.

Where did the seller get it?

Robg7575

·
Silver Bullet member
15,639 Posts
Snooze and lose

Dang it, I forgot to bid. I had it right here on the desk and let it go by, while I was reading the boards. Not sure I would have 'won', but it would have cost a few more bucks.

Very nice rifle. Glad it has a good home.

My theory is they were for 'training' the production personnel. Seem to be too few for any other purpose to me.

What ever it is, it is surely the centerpiece of a 38 collection.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seller posted it on the "old-new" board... (no history) asking questions. He got it from an estate sale. He sat on it for a couple of months and kept thinking about the cash offers he was PM'ed and decided to auction it off (fair chance for all and some cash for other projects). I have swapped a few emails over time... nice guy. I was bound and determined to get this one. It had LOTS of look-sees; counter was way up there.

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,531 Posts
You got me Brad: I bid last on it and you must have had a few $$$ more. I have one Jinsen, matching and mummed including the cover, but not one with that neat training stamp. If you need to recover some funds, any chance you might have a Type 35 bayonet?

John in Charlotte, NC

·
Gold Bullet member
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I am probably going to sell my decent Mantetsu gunto to cover a good part of it. Would love to have a T-35 bayonet, but they would have to pry one of those from my dead hands (along with a few other pieces). It does go to show you that our hobby isn't through the roof on cost yet for rare pieces. This gun (one of VERY few known) still went for less than a fairly common German G-43. BUT, I won't be pulling it out to tell my wife what a bargain I got! (not until I pay it off anyway).

Brad

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,175 Posts
Damn - I thought you were Roy Boone! You would have had a fight on your hands if I hadn't bought so much stuff lately! Super nice piece Brad! Congratulations! :)

·
Gold Bullet member
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
markings

My theory is they were for 'training' the production personnel. Seem to be too few for any other purpose to me.

What ever it is, it is surely the centerpiece of a 38 collection.
It looks ground and then engraved? Chamber marking does not appear to be a production die stamp. Faker would have likely made a die and blued over mum removal. Too obvious and clearly age patina is correct. Supports the above idea. Anybody else have a photo of one for comparision?

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Brad, interesting to note that my double digit number has an unnumbered (finish also doesn't match remainder of rifles blue) dust cover, serial number also painted on stock! I have seen three others. One had a numbered/matching cover BUT all had a different blued finish/tone than the receiver etc.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Brad, congratulations on your fine acquisition.It is a beauty and as one who enjoys table
stakes,the serial number can`t be beat.

Charlie

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Wow, almost $1,700. I bought mine (SN 50) about 8 years back and thought it overpriced at $650. Kind of takes my breath away.

C/

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
You guys were killing me! Got to sell something now. That's OK... honored place in the safe reserved for it. My theory is one of first day's batch used to train arsenal workers, etc... Anybody still have the translation on the DC?

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=81571073
The dustcover kanji translates "Loading of Live Ammunition is Prohibited. " Basically, the same warning as that branded into the buttstocks of most Japanese T-99 Naval training rifles.

C/

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Morning BradB :
Wow ! now that you have Jinsen # 7 gotta ask you : do you have bayonet JB-111 ?.
That particular "C" variation, blued blade, has a Jinsen proof a small circle stamp on the pommel but no serial number; all the ones just like it have an engraved for education stamp just like on top of your rifle on the right side of the pommel.
Ralph Allen an older collector of bayonets felt that each such rifle and bayonet were a pair, with a run of around 300 such rifles ( encircled Kanji "oshi/kyo" in place of the mum, reported serial number low now 7 to 269 ), it would appear that the rifles were intended for something more than training shop personnel.
Enjoy !.
Vicasoto

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Ralph Allen an older collector of bayonets felt that each such rifle and bayonet were a pair, with a run of around 300 such rifles ( encircled Kanji "oshi/kyo" in place of the mum, reported serial number low now 7 to 269 ), it would appear that the rifles were intended for something more than training shop personnel. Vicasoto
At the 1996 Harold Macy estate auction, a T-38 Jinsen "education" rifle was sold that had markings on the stock that, as best I can recall, documented its donation to a tank school. I have doubts, however, about the authenticity of the markings as they'd been applied in what appeared to be magic marker, not ink. I can't recall the serial number, but I still have the auction listing at home. Could check if anyone's interested.

C/

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Now that you have Jinsen # 7 gotta ask you : do you have bayonet JB-111 ?. That particular "C" variation, blued blade, has a Jinsen proof a small circle stamp on the pommel but no serial number; all the ones just like it have an engraved for education stamp just like on top of your rifle on the right side of the pommel.Vicasoto
Vic,

Almost forgot one thing about serial numbers on these JB-111 bayonets. About a year ago, I had the chance to examine another of these T-38 Jinsen "education" rifles. It was brought back with a JB-111 that was serial-numbered to the rifle. I can't recall the serial number of the rifle and bayonet, however, the numbering on the bayonet pommel was legit.

C/

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,219 Posts
Nice, nice, nice! Brad, when I see one with a number like that on the stock, I consider it experimental (not in this case), developmental (possibly), or assy line debugging (most likely) example. You can see the crest may have been ground before putting the "for training" crest on it, so my nickel's worth is assy line debugging followed by reassignment for training. Whether there was a chrysanthemum there before is not important to this conversation, just makes it more interesting. Maybe there're better words out there for what I'm trying to say, but you've sure got a winner.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts