Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I picked up a mystery converted Ottoman Peabody type A “carbine” today for cheap and got a bit of a discount because of the broken safety in the “on” position. I know it’s a long shot, but would you any of you know how I could potentially get it turned off? I’m not going to shoot it, but opening the action would be nice. The piece I can see in the receiver looks to be cut cleanly/not broken, but from what I’ve researched these actions need to be open to completely disassemble the area Id need to get to when accessing the safety internally. Definitely a mind spinner. I have tried pulling the piece backwards and have pushed it forwards with light to medium pressure with a flat head screw driver but it doesn’t seem to want to move.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
You can take the entire trigger guard part from the gun by removing the front pivot screw and the main axle/cocking indicator .....just turn the keeper screw on the LHS until the cutout allows the axle to pass......However the extractor will hang up in its cutout ,and the block need to be lowered as the the guard plate comes out.,to allow the extractor to be freed ........never attempt to unscrew the barrel with the extractor in the gun.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Since your pics have just come up on my screen (yeah ,Vodafone?).....I can see that your safety is actually missing .....the little piece on the side is actually just a guide ,and should be as it is.......the safety lever is under that ,and is missing.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since your pics have just come up on my screen (yeah ,Vodafone?).....I can see that your safety is actually missing .....the little piece on the side is actually just a guide ,and should be as it is.......the safety lever is under that ,and is missing.
Thank you for the reply!

Well that makes it clear why the “break” looked clean…. So you think it’s worth trying to disassemble the trigger area as you described above or is there a risk of lots of parts flying around?

I also found that the safety should not be able to be activated unless the rifle was cocked. From the cocking indicator it looks like it’s somehow activated with it not cocked so it must be a little bit more

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I agree ,something else is stuck.......if you have a lead camera,stick it down the barrel ,and look at the bolt face ......the gun may have been made "safe" by some method.........As to flying apart ,there is only one spring in a Martini ,inside the block.......nothing can fly apart........The MkI safety has several parts in the trigger guard,unlike the MKII that had only one (plus the flat spring).......I dont see how whats left could stop the lever opening ,block falling........Anyway ,take care ,and remove the guard plate first ,or let it drop at the front,then remove the block pivot (if possible ...the MkI sometimes has a bronze pin ,not the later split pin )......with everything loose ,and the extractor drawn back from its slots ,the lot should come out .

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
John has you pointed in the right direction. No flying parts or self disassembling assemblies will be encountered. No need to pry anything either.
I would add that before anything is fiddled with you should make certain there isn't anything in the breech. If no camera then use a dowel or some such. A good mini-mag light will work but be sure first.
Btw that's a fine looking example. Hard to believe an Ottoman used anything can look so good today. 🤔

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John has you pointed in the right direction. No flying parts or self disassembling assemblies will be encountered. No need to pry anything either.
I would add that before anything is fiddled with you should make certain there isn't anything in the breech. If no camera then use a dowel or some such. A good mini-mag light will work but be sure first.
Btw that's a fine looking example. Hard to believe an Ottoman used anything can look so good today. 🤔
I was joking with the gun shop owner that the reason it’s in such decent shape is that rifle probably got left in the rack since the safety was stuck 😆.

I’ll make an attempt to take this apart tomorrow.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree ,something else is stuck.......if you have a lead camera,stick it down the barrel ,and look at the bolt face ......the gun may have been made "safe" by some method.........As to flying apart ,there is only one spring in a Martini ,inside the block.......nothing can fly apart........The MkI safety has several parts in the trigger guard,unlike the MKII that had only one (plus the flat spring).......I dont see how whats left could stop the lever opening ,block falling........Anyway ,take care ,and remove the guard plate first ,or let it drop at the front,then remove the block pivot (if possible ...the MkI sometimes has a bronze pin ,not the later split pin )......with everything loose ,and the extractor drawn back from its slots ,the lot should come out .
I was able to take it apart from your instructions and reassemble it. When doing so it was clear that the block pivot either had a some burs/was a bit over size and would not let the lever fall even with the block out. I did some light filing with a jewelers file on the raised edges and now the action works great. I guess this is the beauty of dealing with a gun that uses all hand fitted parts! Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How long is the barrel? Sorry, I have nothing constructive to add to this thread.
It's a bit over 16.25in measured from the closed breech face to the tip of the barrel with a dowel rod (checked it myself). I definitely wanted to make sure I did not buy an off-book NFA item!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts