Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Kryptonite member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received an "invitation" to join NRA in today's mail. I've been a member since the 50s, a Life member since the 70s and a Benefactor member since the 80s. Records problem? Anyone else get a screwed up letter such as this?

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
Still getting your magazine? If so, don't worry about it.
I'm a Benefactor Member as well & bought my daughter a life membership last year.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
They probably found out that you donated money to Google and figured you wouldn't remember your membership.

·
Kryptonite member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I received the bumper sticker "NRA Stand and Fight" I sent a sizeable donation and a request for two more stickers for our other vehicles. After several letters to them I received the round, windshield NRA decals. B.R. (Before Ruth) I used "Temporary Help" employees to assemble Banzai and The Military Rifle Journal. You soon found why they were "temp. help!" The majority had a problem following instructions, NRA must be using this caliber of people.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
No doubt your name was on a "gun" related mailing list they bought or were given.

Cheaper to send a few thousand duplicates than check the names!

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
why bother joining/renewing? all they do with the large sums of cash they get from the drones, is give it away or spend it on lavish gifts for lobbyists who never really make a difference for us gun owners anyway. might as well throw your money down a hole, or better yet...buy a steak dinner. at least you will get some results with a nice dinner!

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
why bother joining/renewing? all they do with the large sums of cash they get from the drones, is give it away or spend it on lavish gifts for lobbyists who never really make a difference for us gun owners anyway. might as well throw your money down a hole, or better yet...buy a steak dinner. at least you will get some results with a nice dinner!
That's a pretty cynical post, disrespecting and disregarding the ONE organization that is THE most responsible for us still having ANY gun rights this day and age.

You obviously do not remember the dark days of the 60's and 90's, when it was ONLY the NRA that was able to get the support to head off some REALLY draconian measures, but you SURELY recall post-Columbine and post-Newtown.

Save your Bart Simpson imitation on an organization that actually deserves it.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
you ASSUME too much Ronbo6. i do remember the 90s and i also know that the NRA has lost many fights to include assault weapons bans (remember the Clintons?), the gun control act which makes manufacturing of fully automatic weapons illegal and transfer of them highly restricted which has caused the prices of class 3 stuff to rise out of sight for most all working men and women. not exactly a good enough track record for me to shower those suck ups with my money, but feel free to give them yours.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
Both good points, but they are pretty much the 499 lb. gorilla on "our" side. Maybe lost some battles, but at least they fought!

More important is WHO we vote into office, JMO.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
very true. i wish more politicians truly were gun friendly. however, its hard to be sure when so many of them run for election with the pro gun statements, only to cower and back down when in office and faced with upset and ignorant politicians like Feinstein and the like. This is sadly why the NRA has little to no power anymore. The true power lies with the voters who should demand recalls and impeachments, but are too lazy to do so when politicians vote against the principles they ran under. if we start holding politicians to the promises they make under campaign runs, we may actually start to win as a nation.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
The NRA could be our last bastion of defense. Too many liberals out there screaming for gun laws that already exist, as well as banning many and yet who have never owned a firearm in their lives.

And I agree, VOTING is what gets the job done, 2016 will be very interesting, if not a breath of fresh air to rid ourselves of the az clown we have in the white house now.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
you ASSUME too much Ronbo6. i do remember the 90s and i also know that the NRA has lost many fights to include assault weapons bans (remember the Clintons?), the gun control act which makes manufacturing of fully automatic weapons illegal and transfer of them highly restricted which has caused the prices of class 3 stuff to rise out of sight for most all working men and women. not exactly a good enough track record for me to shower those suck ups with my money, but feel free to give them yours.
I don't assume ANYTHING. I was there! I HEARD the clamoring of the times and while OTHER 'gun rights organizations' were out collecting money, the money and the money collectors just seemed to disappear, and you NEVER heard ANYTHING from them when the irons were truly in the fire. You NEVER see their names except on the letters they send you overstating their 'accomplishments' and asking you to join and donate.

You NEVER see their names in the newspapers or on TV, and you almost never hear anything from their 'spokesmen'. In the RARE cases when you do, their comments are either very forgettable, or they are rabid rants that do not do our side any good.

The Franks, Obamas, and Pelosis of the world don't blame those third-class has-been organizations when their latest brain child didn't come close to passing. I am pretty sure they know who their true enemy was, and it is ALWAYS the NRA that they blame.

The NRA was, and is, ALWAYS there.

Yes, the NRA has lost a couple of battles, but it was NEVER from any lack of trying, and it has been largely the NRA's efforts that turned very bad demographics towards gun control in the 1960's to the point where a very clear majority support gun rights today. I was there. I remember those days VERY WELL.

This reminds me of the guy a friend of mine ran across near the NRA table at a local gun show years ago that was all PO'ed at the NRA when the Assault Weapons Ban went into effect, and claimed he would never be a member, or donate to them again. When asked who he voted for in the last election, he proudly claimed he voted for Clinton and for a straight Democrat ticket, just like his Union told him to do. He just couldn't see the connection at all.

·
Registered
186 Posts
remember when the clintons wanted the membership list the NRA did not cave, also remember when they had to provide office space to the irs to be audited during the clinton years,if it were not for the NRA there would not be gunshows or private sales am I biased you damm right I am as a Benafactor member and a recruiter I am very biased . i also see the fight ahead as many others do

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,774 Posts
One way of showing the NRA support would be to write your Representatives two or three times a year and let them know how you feel. If you do that they will put you on their e-mail list. When you get a e-mail from them write them again. I keep a file of past letters I have sent and just pull one up, change it a bit and send it in.

How many people out there have ever written their Rep and complained about....say the Gun Control Act??

Another way to fight would be to take an Anti-gun person out blasting. My brother in law was Anti-gun. Years ago I took him out to the range with the excuse that I needed someone to watch my stuff when I went to change targets. Half way through scoping in I asked him if he would like to take a few shots....he said it was like playing a video game and is now hooked and owns a few fire arms himself. He even convinced my hard core anti gun sister to participate.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
I had been an off & on member of the NRA until Clinton got elected and then became a life member. Later a Patron and now a Benefactor. They are still leading the fight as well as promoting gun safety to kids through education and competitive shooting. I'm proud to support them.

·
Kryptonite member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As a Benefactor member I still send $$$ each quarter. "From my cold dead hands."

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.