Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Eveyone has a piece in the collection that is the most treasured. What is the most valuable piece that you have? Or the most rare? Or which one is the one that you are, "taking to your grave"? :D

For me, it is a Remington Model 8 "F" Grade in 35 Remington, made in 1906.

Fully factory engraved with a fancy American Walnut stock. Express sights and flip up diopter sights front and rear. One of only a handfull ever made. I will post pics as soon as the sun comes out!

I know it isn't a military rifle, but it is quite rare and valuable.

Kind regards, ARG

PS: If you are posting pics of your "treasured one", please do not show your street address or any other clues for would-be thieves out there.:mad:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It's not exactly rare, or even valuable, but my Remington 1918-dated M91 is my favorite of all my rifles, with the tiger-striped K31 coming in a close second. It's ugly, in poor-ish condition, didn't have SQUAT on it when I bought it, even missing some of the integral accessories, but it's my first and most accurate.

As for the most valuable in my collection is my 1921-dated Winchester 1897 shotgun. It's the long variant, and it throws a very small pattern at range, which leads me to believe it was a goose gun. However, with its age, I tend not to shoot it, and it's at my Pappy's house.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
My most prized piece is a Remington 552 Speedmaster I got when I was 12 years old. I still have it, and it still bags some squirrels every year ---

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Tough question.. I can narrow it down to two: Love em all, but if I had to pick they'd be:

M28 upgrade to M28/30 specs in spectacular condition, because of rarity in that condition
OR
M-91 Remington Bannerman in beyond cherry condition; simply due to rarity in that condition.

BeSwift

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Well, for 36 years it was my M1921/28 Colt Thompson. Then it was My M1918A1 BAR. Now, I guess it would be either my M2 Carbine or the Finnish M27rv carbine. There was also a pristine M1910 Mannlicher-Schonauer 9.5x57mm take-down carbine... I had planned on taking all of them with me, but life can throw some curves. DDR

·
Registered
591 Posts
for me it would be the M1D i picked up for $400, its a long story
or my cherry finn m91 with the belgian liege markings
or my 1918 dated 1911 in beautiful shape that i picked up for $450.
as far as oddball i have a m91/38 with cossack markings and serbian crown proofs.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The most prized piece to me that has to do with my militaria collection would not be a firearm. It would be the pieces that I have of my grandfathers WWII gear (His hat, belt, first aid kit and pouch, and his gas mask). He sent them out to me several years ago when he found I had an interest in that period of time. He had been holding onto it all this time and no other family members had showed an interest so it made him happy to know that his service would not be forgotton. If I had to pick a rifle that would be a tough one since I do not have a true favorite.

·
Diamond Member
1,673 Posts
Most prized

1913 Scheutzen rifle owned since 1978.

1918 03 Springfield Warner Swasey Sniper

1937 Winchester Model 70 Supergrade in 22 hornet with griffin and howe scope mount and karl Zeiss Zielvier 4X scope. Probably sold by G&H, I am the third owner.

1st Model Newton rifle in .256 Newton, one of only 4000 ever made.

1932 Model 52 Winchester with 12 power Lyman Super Target Spot scope, got to have a nice 22.

1893 88 Commission KAR 88 WW1 bringback complete, all matching, unit marked Bavarian Chevaulegers.

M28-30 I got from a walk in at Richmond for $150

East German marked Dragoon.

Finn 1931 Tula Dragoon

1920 Izzy dragoon, not Finn

I'm fickle my favorites come and go on occasion.

Dont ask me which one I would never sell.

regards
badger

·
Registered
43 Posts
For me my most prized comes down to :
1. 1941 Johnson
2. 1903A4 Springfield
3. M1A1 Inland paratrooper with high wood and early features

·
Registered
413 Posts
My most rare and valuable is a Fred Adolph rifle built around 1911-12. The most prized is a tossup between my Adolph and a bring back, as issued Winchester M1 carbine, I cut, spring tube (with box) that has no evidence of ever being fired.

BTW badger, if you ever want to get rid of the Newton keep me in mind.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My most valueable would have to be the New Model 1863 Sharps carbine issued to Sgt. Charles Nelson who served in Custer's Div. during the War of Northern Aggression. But...I'm really partial to a model 1842 Springfield musket dated 1852 and three pre-Pearl Harbor Garands.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
My most valueable would have to be the New Model 1863 Sharps carbine issued to Sgt. Charles Nelson who served in Custer's Div. during the War of Northern Aggression. But...I'm really partial to a model 1842 Springfield musket dated 1852 and three pre-Pearl Harbor Garands.

For some reason I knew you would be posting this as your favorite Theo:D Ever find out anything more from those pictures you have?

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I've collected Japanese weapons and militaria since the late 70s. The photos below are of my most prized collection addition. It's a Japanese Type 5 semi-auto rifle, which is a crude copy of the US Garand rifle. About 100 or fewer were made on a prototype or developmental basis. This one is serial number 1.

C/

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've collected Japanese weapons and militaria since the late 70s. The photos below are of my most prized collection addition. It's a Japanese Type 5 semi-auto rifle, which is a crude copy of the US Garand rifle. About 100 or fewer were made on a prototype or developmental basis. This one is serial number 1.

C/
NICE!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Not the most valuable but certainly the most treasured gun in my collection is my unissued 1952 Polish M44. It's the only real "lucky find" I've ever had; the dealer didn't know what it was worth.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My favorite is a Savage Model 24 in .22/.410. It belonged to my father and to his father before him. My dad had always told me that I would receive this gun from him to hand down and keep in the family. Unfortunately, I ended up with it many years too soon. My dad was diagnosed with metastasized skin cancer in January of this year and he gave me the rifle a few weeks before he died in May.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
The most valuable and prized is not even mine! The Anschutz Model 1912 below was a high school graduation gift to my son from his Big Princess and me three years ago. It was a reward for a 4.4+ QPA/3rd in his class of 470, three years of making all-states in music and four years lettering on the rifle team.

It is prized by me because it was my son's shooting activities that got us involved in collecting. Now that he is a junior in college, collecting and shooting is something that we can still enjoy together and is a great "excuse" to go out when he is home.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mine is a Marlin .22LR that I got for my 16th birthday. I don't shoot it much anymore, but it was my first. It will be with me until the last. As far as most valuable, I guess that's my RRA LAR15. As far as collectibles go, that would be like picking which kid you liked best. They all have merit.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts