Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to purchase this and am not sure what to look for in these. I like the way it looks but am aware of repros of everything and would like some opinions if there are any expert out there.
any help is appreciated.
thanks

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
I know nothing about it BUT if it's cheap enough, grab it now and then figure out what it is.
If it's not cheap,and you are not sure what it is or if it is real, walk away.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Sure looks to have been "Enhanced" to a good degree. Just depends on the price being asked....might be worth it as a shell, or for parts....or as a reinactor's piece.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Go to germandagger or germandaggers.com and ask your questions there. They have "real" experts there, I own a few real helmets and this one looks bad to me.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
the price is 350. Is there a sure way to tell a real from a fake?
Only sure way is to have lots of experience examining known good examples. German helmets are faked more than German rifles...it's a jungle out there!

.....maybe one of the numbers on the shell?
The shell is real....just not the chickenwire, chin strap or camo paint...like I said it has been "enhanced"....and the price reflects that. It was probably a bad rusty outside that somebody added camo to in order to make it look better....(bring more $$$ or maybe use for reinactor) It would easily be WAY more than that if it was right.

·
Registered
293 Posts
As Bill stated, the shell is original but nothing else is. I would not pay $350 for it. If it is worth that much to you, fine. Just be advised that it is a totally reworked shell that may have a lot of problems under all that heavy new camo paint.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well the liner band and chin strap loop appear original. The chin strap loop is the non steel type with rounded corner, all hallmarks of an early M38 type liner and helmet. Can not tell if it has rivit type vents or stamped.
Conclusions, the liner assembly may be original, however easily swapped into a willing shell.
Over priced for a reinactor grade helmet.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Run away, and runaway quick! I restore helmets for re-enactors, and guys who just want a "Nazi" helmet. This is a horrible job, in my opinion its only worth the materials ie shell, and liner.....about 120 bucks.

G

·
Don't buy this. It looks like Regan threw up on it. Get a real helmet with the stickers and scratches of use. The liner also is worth a 100.00 or so if original. A Helmet with correct liner and stickers can set you back 500.00 and up (way up) depending on what division and condition. Not worth having a german helmet just for the sake of having one.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
It is not even a good fake. I've collected German helmets about as long as K98ks. The difference is that you can get good information here and at GK, the facts. Today, things like that dog vomit "camo" are deemed "wow" "one looker" originals if sold by the right person on the WAF forum. The misinformation is horrific in German helmet collecting. This helmet is very bad and worth only the component value only.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
By the way, the person selling that helmet has been making the rounds with it privately. In the last two weeks I've had two emails on it asking my opinion as it was offered to the person privately for sale.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts