Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister went to an auction last week and bought a box of junk, in the box was one of those ugly turkish coffee pots. You have seen, them engraved with a chisel, brass and dented. . .she loves it. In the pot was a dirty, torn and weathered red flag with a painted cresent moon and star. The star is 6 pointed. The material appears to be cotton and is approx 18 inches square. There are no seams on the top or bottom or the far side, they appear to be worn away, the side where the pole would be has a seam and the remains of the tie straps. Could this be and early turkish flag or something a child did?

·
Silver Bullet member
1,082 Posts
think the Turkish one is red with a cresent and 5 pointed star next to it. The star and cresent are white.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
My sister went to an auction last week and bought a box of junk, in the box was one of those ugly turkish coffee pots. You have seen, them engraved with a chisel, brass and dented. . .she loves it. In the pot was a dirty, torn and weathered red flag with a painted cresent moon and star. The star is 6 pointed. The material appears to be cotton and is approx 18 inches square. There are no seams on the top or bottom or the far side, they appear to be worn away, the side where the pole would be has a seam and the remains of the tie straps. Could this be and early turkish flag or something a child did?
Wikipedia has a lot of information on flags and crests if you just query it.

·
Registered
413 Posts

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Wikipedia has a lot of information on flags and crests if you just query it.
Took the words right outa my mouth.

Google; turkish flag <click search>

Two million hits in .16 seconds.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
The turks haven't been consistent on the number of points on the star until Attaturk. Anywhere between 8 and 5 points.
Supposedly the official national flag changed from 8 to 5 points in 1844 but there were 8 and 6 point turkish naval and merchant marine flags in the 19th century.
http://flagspot.net/flags/tr_ottot.html#car

·
Silver Bullet member
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jjk308 Thank you that is what I was looking for. I guess I will hang it with my turkish mauser.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
The site Annie Oakley posted is the "Wikipedia of flags". I use it all the time.
Wow, you can say that again! Just perused it a good half hour.
It's more then just the Wikipedia of flags, it's, it's....it's like an encyclopedia of flags. <quietly whistling>:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts