Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come across a 1952 dated WACS dress, waistcoat and overcoat and was wondering value? Very nice no holes or stains. Pink and green with a spec 4 rank insignia. Any idea?

TIA

Chuck

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
67,642 Posts
:D:D

·
Registered
718 Posts
WAC and in fact all female uniforms are more collectable than mens equivalent items. War period uniform would probably go for about $200. Like anything else it depends on who sees it. I'm assuming dress is a skirt, (waist down), & waistcoat is a fitted "Ike"like jacket. The jacket has rank but no other insignia, and the overcoat has a belt?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Dress is full length from the shoulders down. The waist coat is like the mens Ike jacket. The over coat has the belt. There is a Large A patch over the rank.

Chuck

·
Copper Bullet member
951 Posts
In WWII there was a large A (A had a flat top and was bold black) for the 1st Army Corps.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
First Army is the square red and white patch, Third Army is the round one.
HTH

·
Registered
718 Posts
Nobody has mentioned value except me. Don't know if that is because nobody else has an opinion, or if I'm on the money. With the further info I'd adjust my numbers to $200 plus. You can always check the auction sites.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
67,642 Posts
It could be that there are not that many people who see the thread and also collect uniforms.

In my instance, that would be true. I do not collect uniforms so I do not know what the prices could be.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I try to collect when I can but usually people want a lot for them. I found this one in a place I have not been in in a couple of years. I have not purchased it yet but I am debating it.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
FWIW, I collect uniforms, and have a couple of women's uniforms in my collection. With no insignia other than rank and an SSI I'd put the value at closer $100. At least, based on what we're told about it, $100 would be the most I would pay. Photos would certainly help more, though.
Some basics about uniform collecting though... Korean War era uniforms, male or female, just don't bring as much as WWI and WII era uniforms. Vietnam era bring even less unless it's something gee-whiz like theater-made tiger stripes, USAF party suits, etc... The same with insignia versus no/minimal insignia, ID'd versus un-ID'd/anonymous uniforms. Minimal/no insignia and an un-ID'd uniform are not terribly desirable (nor valuable) except to fill a particular hole.
Other factors that determine value include things like condition and size as well as the style of insignia. As others have pointed out, larger sizes are more desireable than the smaller sizes. Mothing detracts from value as do rips/tears, stains, non-period repairs, etc... If there's a fruit salad, is it the common "I was there" variety (WWII victory/AME/ATO/PTO stuff) or a more desirable "I was there" variety such as China Service, or is it the medals of valor (PH, Bronze Star, etc...) that make up the fruit salad? Is there's insignia, is it pinback or clutch back?
Otherwise, it's a generic women's uiform with no insignia and is worth a minimal amount to a collector.
My .02

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. I think I am going to pass on this at this time as the price is considerably above what has been reccommended.

Chuck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts