Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This weekend has been one that I won't ever forget. Didn't buy any guns. Did something much better.

A few years ago I met some people at Scarborough Faire. Two of them were teenagers, boyfriend and girlfriend. They grew up, finished high school last year, then he enlisted in the Marines. They had long planned to get married. This summer when he was supposed to come home on leave they had it all planned, hall rented, etc. Then his leave was canceled. So he got notice of his upcoming leave, they made plans, then his leave was canceled. Then last week he was informed he would get leave 4 days before it happened. So there was a mad rush to make plans and make it happen. It had to happen this time because he is shipping out for Iraq soon. The couldn't get a hall, so they arranged to have the wedding in a park. There were some other things they couldn't arrange and asked for help on a forum I read. So, I stepped in and helped.

The wedding took place yesterday. It was 107 outside and the groom was in his dress blues. He was the only one dressed up. Even the groomsmen wore tank tops. The father of the bride had planned on wearing a suit coat just long enough to walk her to the front, but he backed out and ditched the coat. I changed shirts twice during the event because I was soaked.

Well, the wedding took place and I got thanked for my help. Then kissed and hugged for my help. Then thanked and kissed and hugged some more. Let me tell you that I have saved people's lives and not received that much gratitude. Not just from the bride and groom, but from friends and family too. 24 hours later I still feel the high that came from that.

Attached is a pic of the couple during the wedding. You can see my left arm in the pic, which might give you an idea of what I did.

We talk about supporting the troops. It was good to have a chance to support this one Marine and his family. In September he goes off to the sandbox for 7 months. His new wife will get to spend less than a week with him until then.

·
Gold Bullet member
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I was the preacher.

For their honeymoon they went out last night to see Mummy 3. He has to go back to base in California in a day or so. Too many things they have to get done to take off for a trip.

There is a real mushy, sentimental back story that I found out about in the last 30 minutes. Eyes are a little too watery to say much about it now.

·
Gold Bullet member
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
... for being a good shepherd for that young couple. It must have been some challenge to be able to bring solemnity and reverence to the wedding ceremony in that heat. Fortunately, the couple brings their joy.

Kind Regards,
DanaeDad

Reverence put in a short appearance. Solemnity took the day off. Tried my best for both, but it didn't happen. The photographer, another friend, said it was the funniest wedding he had ever been too. He isn't a pro, just takes very good pictures and wanted to help with a good cause.

Here is a nice backgroud story about how I got paid for this wedding:

Back during the Korean War my dad was a minister in Stockton, Missouri. He did a wedding for a sailor who was home on leave. The sailor paid him in $2 bills because that was how he had just gotten his pay. Dad kept the bills.

One day when I was a kid my dad pulled some $2 bills out of his wallet and told me how he came by them. It was more than 40 years ago that dad told me this story, but I remembered it and when I volunteered to do the wedding I told the bride's father that I would only charge them a $2 bill. The groom handed me a $2 bill before the wedding without commenting on it. After the wedding I told the bride's father the background story of why I asked for that particular payment. He insisted I tell his daughter and just about everyone else we know the story.

The next day the bride's father emailed me and told me he had a story about where the Marine got the $2 bill. When the Marine was born his mother wanted him to learn to save so she bought him a piggy bank. To get things started she put a $2 bill in it. That is the $2 bill I got paid with.

Emailed my dad about it today. He says he still has 2 of the bills.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.