Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.pbs.org/thewar/?campaign=pbshomefeatures_1_thewarbrakenburnsfilm_2007-09-21

THE WAR, a seven-part series directed and produced by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick, tells the story of the Second World War through the personal accounts of a handful of men and women from four quintessentially American towns. The series explores the most intimate human dimensions of the greatest cataclysm in history — a worldwide catastrophe that touched the lives of every family on every street in every town in America — and demonstrates that in extraordinary times, there are no ordinary lives.

·
Gold Bullet member
550 Posts
The Propaganda Broadcasting Service is so ridiculously biased I can't stand more than 15 minutes or so at a time, much less a 7 part series.
You're still mad about his Civil War series !!! :) :) :)

regards....roger

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
You're still mad about his Civil War series !!! :) :) :)

regards....roger
I never saw it so I can't comment on that. What gets me is how they can't even have a travel show or a wildlife documentary without bringing up "global warming" and act like it's a foregone conclusion that man is at fault. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't mention something about how all the emissions from the D-Day landings were the beginning of it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
291 Posts
http://www.pbs.org/thewar/?campaign=pbshomefeatures_1_thewarbrakenburnsfilm_2007-09-21

THE WAR, a seven-part series directed and produced by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick, tells the story of the Second World War through the personal accounts of a handful of men and women from four quintessentially American towns. The series explores the most intimate human dimensions of the greatest cataclysm in history — a worldwide catastrophe that touched the lives of every family on every street in every town in America — and demonstrates that in extraordinary times, there are no ordinary lives.
Looking forward to it. I am sure it will be well focused and unbiased as all of his body of work.

·
Gold Bullet member
550 Posts
I never saw it so I can't comment on that. What gets me is how they can't even have a travel show or a wildlife documentary without bringing up "global warming" and act like it's a foregone conclusion that man is at fault. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't mention something about how all the emissions from the D-Day landings were the beginning of it! :rolleyes:
What about all that lead contamination at Normandy !!!! :)

regards....roger

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,379 Posts
I heard some of the background on NPR about the series.. Looking firward to it or the DVD at a later date. Even if you don't like the PBS you can filter any network BS because it is taken from the GI's for a historical perspective taken from the participants (veterans) accounts of the war and their individual experiences..

·
Copper Bullet member
1,883 Posts
One of my uncles is supposed to be in the 1st episode on Sunday. His name is Clyde Odom and he passed away last November and I didn't know anything about this till another uncle called me 2 days ago to let me know.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,400 Posts
OT: The WAR, a seven part series on PBS

One of my uncles is supposed to be in the 1st episode on Sunday. His name is Clyde Odom and he passed away last November and I didn't know anything about this till another uncle called me 2 days ago to let me know.
JAYFMT, did you Uncle fly for an Airline after the War? I used to work with a Clyde Odom that was a pilot....:confused:

·
Copper Bullet member
1,883 Posts
IIRC he was an engineer and worked in the ship yards.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
That is what pisses Ted off...every time they tell the story the North wins! He thinks that to be fair they should let the South win some of the time.
If you look at population trends, economic data and such, the South did win, just took those good boys a while to declare victory (they still haven't, but should).

I'm heading to Dixie when I retire, if y'all will have me. Thinking TN , somewhere high up. Good defensive position and a great view. ;)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts