Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a cool framed sketch of a beautiful square rigger at a yard sale today.

The ship is obviously the Danish training ship Georg Stage. A tall ship I've not heard of before.

I guess it's a merchant marine training vessel from what I've found online.

Anyway, I'm curious as to the artist who drew the beautiful sketch. Hard to read, but the artwork is signed Fullriggeren "Georg Stage" Amado Stage. May have misspelled some of that, but thats basicaly what the artist scribbeled on the pic.

Makes me wonder who Amado stage was, and if he was an owner or family of the name-sake for the ship. I guess there was a previous Georg Stage used as a merchant seaman training ship, dating from the mid to late 1800's. The picture eerily resembles the the current version of the vessel, but no pics to be found of the previous ship.

I'm fairly sure the drawing is the Georg Stage that exists today, some minor differences in the details of the rigging, but the number of masts, sails, bowsprit configuration, and overall appearence of the sketch near perfectly matches the Danish tall ship in service today.

Does anyone have any information of or about Amado Stage, or the original or reincarnation of the Georg Stage?

Thanks, Stevie.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
There is some information about the older Georg Stage here: http://www.georgstage.dk/view.do?contentId=26&menuId=26

Here it is today, not the best picture, but you now know enough about the present name of the ship and location to do a more comprehensive search: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Conrad_(ship))

Here are a few better pictures from the museum that now owns her:
http://www.mysticseaport.org/index....e&page_id=B3AF7031-E022-6432-8AE3F674FA3026CA

The cover of Alan Villiers book, a nice picture under sail:
http://www.nauticalmind.com/Cruise-of-the-Conrad-pr-71088.html

As you see, the ship still exists in mystic, conn, so you should be able to get photos of it or even visit it in person.... :)

Who Amado Stage may have been (be?) I have no clue, my quick search yielded no results. However in the first link you find the names of the Father and Mother of the Georg Stage that the ship was named after. Why not try danish genealogy sites? Chances are good that the artist is a descendant of them. Also you could try contacting maritime museums and art museums in denmark. Ship painting requires great skill, no captain or ship owner would buy such a painting unless every detail of the rigging etc were accurate. Reaching such a level of accuracy, while at the same time making the vessel "come alive" on canvas requires a high level of experience, if it is a good painting it will certainly not be his first or only work, a museum might have more pieces by him and perhaps know something about the artists biograpy?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...My beautiful ship artwork is the Joseph Conrad! The boat davits and decorative scroll work on the bow better match the drawing than the present Georg Stage.

Still some minor rigging differences at the mast tops, however the vessel has surely been overhauled numerous times since the 1880's. I'm satisfied that the "Georg Stage" in the artwork is indeed the Joseph Conrad that now resides in Mystic Seaport

I had found the link to the Danish site, but not the translation to English!(duh)

Thanks for the info and links! Not a Krag rifle, but still a beautiful mechanism created by the hand of man.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The artist could be Mads Stage, who is a welknown danish painter.

regards
Niels

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
If it is indeed Mads Stage it is probably a very early work. He was born in 1922 and the Georg Stage was sold in 1934... There is of course a chance that he may have worked from some photograph later, but it is intriguing nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've flip flopped on the paintings identity yet again. Numerous photos of the newer Georg Stage online to look at. Most likely the pic is the newer ship. Has had a refit on the front lifeboats sometime or other.

The artist was Mads Stage! Thanks Niels!

The man was a prolific painter, and many photo's of his work online. Some in enough size and detail to read the signiture. Mads Stage's signiture is the same as my pic. Identical signitures on several of his paintings. Just looks like "Amado Stage", His cursive "M" makes it look like an AM.

Not sure what his work is doing in central Oklahoma, but it's beautiful. My pic may be a print of an original, not sure, have not removed it from the framing for a more detailed inspection. Likely is a print.

I'm no artist, but my pic looks to be a sketch, enhanced with watercolor. However my wife says it's a well done watercolor.

Thanks guy's. You have made my weekend!

·
1,639 Posts
Also look at the association "Gamle Georg Stage Drenge" (Old Georg Stage Boys), which at one time were very active in the US.

The "George Stage" did visit Halifax in 1993, and the 80 cadets are now male/female which goes on six months tours. The dicipline used to be rigid, and traditionally, the first meal together for the cadets is always blood sausage with sugar and apple sauce.

Being world smallest full square rigger, "George Stage" was named after a danish shipping company owners son, who untimely died of cancer, in the prime of his youth.

At one point, the old "George Stage", now "Joseph Conrad", was hit and sunk by a steamer, with the tragic loss of number of cadets.

There is a strong pride and sense of belonging to be a former "George Stage" cadet :)

Best regards,

Cadet # 49, "George Stage"

Snowhunter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts