Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were in Ft. Lauderdale for my daughter's lifeguard competition...so we were out of town for a while. I got a couple of emails from guys...trying to make sure that I hadn't been "run off" or that anyone had been ugly to me here. I knew when I posted here, that I was certainly in the minority and had NO idea what I was doing or talking about with these guns. However, that lack of knowledge is what led me to participate and try to learn all I could.

Just wanted to say that I appreciate all of the help and info that I've gotten from you guys....and a couple of you have even made me smile! :D Thanks for letting me be part of the group....and for teaching me ALOT! I'm excited to find out more about my family's history and more about this new obsession!!

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,989 Posts
We were in Ft. Lauderdale for my daughter's lifeguard competition...so we were out of town for a while. I got a couple of emails from guys...trying to make sure that I hadn't been "run off" or that anyone had been ugly to me here. I knew when I posted here, that I was certainly in the minority and had NO idea what I was doing or talking about with these guns. However, that lack of knowledge is what led me to participate and try to learn all I could.

Just wanted to say that I appreciate all of the help and info that I've gotten from you guys....and a couple of you have even made me smile! :D Thanks for letting me be part of the group....and for teaching me ALOT! I'm excited to find out more about my family's history and more about this new obsession!!
Welcome back! :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
oh thank God, there was a varmint out there saying I had run you off, whew! I came to this board as an accumulator now from what I have learned from these people I'm closer to a collector, at least more knowledgeable.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sal, it would take alot more than you to run me off!! :D I still have LOTS to learn here. I'm not even at your beginner level of 'accumulator' yet...I think I'm merely a sponge! I'm soaking all the info up that I can find! Maybe then I'll graduate to accumulator!

·
Gold Bullet member
13,468 Posts
Hi Kimberly, Stay with us and learn. Also, we like having a nice Southern beauty around to give us some stimulation. Do not be offended by some gruff posts, that is the internet. Not everyone will be friendly all the time. Most of us will be friendly. Sal and Otter are good folks, just have different points of view. We all want you to hang out with us. Keep your skin thick and just carry on. Good to see you back and welcome to the addiction.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mike. I can hand out my fair share of sass if I need to! LOL I can handle these guys! And if they get toooo out of control...I'll torture them by telling them what I've cooked for supper! ha ha

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Are you going to start collecting japanese rifles then? There are alot of pawn shops down in fort walton, you might be able to find a type 99 or two down there.

Good luck!!! The guys here can help out alot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ohhhhh Josh...what a great suggestion. Thanks!! That will be something that my daddy and I will look into for sure. My collecting will be for my children tho. I'll just get to play with them for a while! :D

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Pawn shops can either have really good deals or really bad deals, I got an original military(not commercial stocked and it had a screwed in military bayonet) chinese SKS at a pawn shop for 180 dollars, which is a pretty good deal. I have seen some japanese rifles at pawn shops and they tend to be cheaper than the rifles from shows/dealers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a good tip. My collecting would be more for sentimental reasons than for resale value. I'll certainly check around some.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Good hunting then!!!

BTW, there is going to be a big military/gun show in louisville KY in early march called the show of shows, it has tons of japanese rifles there, and alot of collectors who are on here attend that show. I went there this year and it was amazing, you should think about going.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
If they bug you just tell them to shut up. Thats what everybody does to me. Then tell me the names and I'll put them in time out for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Record Everything!

[ I'm excited to find out more about my family's history and more about this new obsession!![/QUOTE]

Kimberly, Try to get your dad to tell you everything he can remember and try to put together any paper work, medals, etc., and keep it all together. So much stuff is lost forever when someone dies and it is thrown away by family members who are not interested. My father-in-law fought in the Pacific. I mounted all his medals in a walnut display case along with his division and battalion insignia. He seems very proud of it. One of his daughter-in-laws, made a video of him telling about his time in the army. I feel this is important to our family. We must remember the sacrifices these men and women made for us.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vic..you are a dear to look out for me!!

Garnett, this type of information gathering is exactly what I'm trying to do. Thankfully, my daddy can tell me ALOT. He is going to help me gather and scan photos, service records, etc as well as tell me what he knows. I just can't stand the thought of it all being gone and forgotten.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts