Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a Gew98m sporter via help from Plymouthmauser (thanks again!), and received a call from my shop today saying it had come in, but that the stock (matched, albeit cut) was broken in two at the wrist!
Box in good shape, so possibly broken and reboxed by the gorillas at UPS?
Any advice as to where to go with this?
:angry:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hi
i know how you feel. Sorry to hear about your rifle. I had a m1 collector grade rifle and was the same way no damage to the box, but the stock was broken in half by the trigger housing. First did you have ins. On it?? Or the gunstore you bought it from. The dealer should have ins on it. Give him a call and tell him whats going on. And let ups know one or the other should pay for it. The dealer should send you a new one after you send the old one back...................

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
We have proof! Moconfed snapped up the project I passed on; the stock looked good when I inspected it and took pictures for the thread.

No cracks here.

PM

·
Registered
336 Posts
they wont care...it's either insured or it's not...if it's not...thats between you and the seller.... but dealing with ups even with insurance would be a crap shoot....without insurance, it's a dead horse....

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'd blame the shipper.. I ship all my stuff ups. You must wrap these things correctly..Use lots of bubble wrap !!! its cheap.. ALso the insurance is a waste of money. They usually give you the run around. If you paid X amount and you have the receipt and it was insured for that amout they may pay the clame. They may take the rifle as well...But, give it back... The shipper is the person who needs to do the paper work with ups... I'd have them get on it a.s.a.p.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Werent you going to put it in a military stock anyways? I doubt if you'll have much luck with dealer or ups.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Any advice as to where to go with this?
:angry:
Contact dealer. It's his responsibility to make good or deal with shipper, not yours. Keep it friendly as long as possible.

Was payment by credit card? If so, you're in the clear in more ways. If dealer doesn't take care of it, contact credit card company and contest that payment. This is usually a last resort and should be used only if dealer is not taking care of it. It's not his fault either, but he's the one who has the pull with UPS.

·
Copper Bullet member
722 Posts
SAVE the shipping container UPS will not even consider any claim unless they can inspect the box. I shipped a rifle from Ca to Va and the toe of the stock got chipped. Never collected due to fact the 01 FFL threw out all the packing material.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
1,707 Posts
Consistent problem with UPS for at least 30 years.
Insist on cheapo hardcase shipping or insertion of plank in box for rigidity. Mark: NO LEAN everywhere (not that it will do any good).

·
Copper Bullet member
722 Posts
forgot to add the investigators from UPS were a**holes no customers service skills at all. Good Luck on the claim looks like a beatiful rifle ruined.

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
SAVE the shipping container UPS will not even consider any claim unless they can inspect the box. I shipped a rifle from Ca to Va and the toe of the stock got chipped. Never collected due to fact the 01 FFL threw out all the packing material.
Great advice! All shippers will look for a reason not to pay. If you don't save the original box and have all related documentation - they win. Also make certain to accurately list what is inside including serial number. If mis-described as anything but a firearm no claim is possible as firearms are processed differently and they can and will report you to ATF if they discover you lied. This does not necessarily more care in terms of running over with the lift or playing soccer with your box on break. It just limits the people and places in the facility that do this.

Scott

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with Wapruf2 to pack it with a plank. I use 1/2" x 6" poplar from Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I wrap the weapon in bubble wrap (small bubbles) and then put the poplar on each side and tape it all together. Then bubble wrap the whole thing and into the box. The wood does add a bit to the shipping cost but I believe it is worth it. And of course, insure it. I ship this way after USPS broke a 100% mint rifle at the wrist. It came to me packed in 6 layers of bubble wrap but was cracked none the less. The stock is being repaired and my blood pressure has returned to normal. LOL

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
I'd say someone ran over it. When I worked for fedex our mananger left the door open on a van, it took off, the guy behind him ran over 4 or 5 packages. It happens. Also if something arrives at your main terminal, the closest one to your house that does your deliveries, they will repack stuff into a new box but they're suppose to contact you before doing so and let you know what happen. Our terminal would fill out the insurance claims for you. I guess maybe they're not all like that. I've worked at other Fedex terminals before where everyone was a moron and had no idea what they were doing.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Unless the person who shipped it is a registered UPS user, he and you are out of luck. I am a registered shipper and they gave me a bad time for a problem like yours. They insisted that it had to be in 4 layers of bubble wrap before thaty would accept responsibility. I have seen UPS drivers kick packages off the van.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts