Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OT. I am trying to restore and rescue a 1/16 scale model figure. When I got this figure from a friend, it was half way painted with bunch of missing small parts. I managed to find a completed picture of it. After looking it over, I got couple of questions:

First question, Is our para web gear correct? I figure some of them are grenade pouches, but I did not identify any thing looks like magazine pouch for the SMG>

Secondly, if our para was armed with Beretta 38a, should he be wearing web gear to house its magazine? Anyone have a picture of the actual web gear? I vaguely recall seen a type of horizontal magazine pouch across front of the chest and one across the back.

Any one have pictures of actual web gear for the WW2 Italian paratrooper?

Of course, as this project goes, I'll keep everyone updated with latest progress photos.

TIA

Mike

·
Administrator
9,439 Posts
italian "Para' "

That "grenadier" layout is roughly correct, and I do have photos (in a book about "Speical Forces" in WW II) of the Double M38A magazine vest which could be rotated around to access the magazines. These were used by both the Paras and the Naval Assault Infantry.

In practice, however, most of these equipment issues remained as Publicity photos...and
were little used in actual combat. The only truely combat proven equipment was the camouflage smock and tent (half shelter) the first Issue camo gear of any army before WW II (even before the Germans, who copied fieatures of the Italian design)...and this design has lasted well into the 1970s Nato (Italian) issue.

regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Doc, That save me a lot of time and effort to sculpt out each pocket/compartment...etc.

What did they use for magazine pouches? I guess I can ignore it and say that his buddy carry them for him.

What other equipment would you suggest? A M1934 pistol holster, a combat knife, couple stick handgrenade? for this brave paratrooper?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found these two types of magazine pouches on the net this evening. What you guys think? DocAV, which one "more" correct?

I am a bit sticker on the detail. I am currently recover from an eye injury, too much time on my hand you know!

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts