Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some Background: Matte finish shows-up in '43 on P.38s slides. Mauser made a few KKWs in late '38. BUG proofing ended in Apr '40. Less than 6000 KKWs were made by MO.

From the top, this group of four is serialed from earliest (5xx) to latest (24xx), yet the progression of features is not linear (even though production was so very modest).

Early features: Smaller "Mauser" banner, high gloss bands, BUG proof, SN on rec'r and barrel, refined rear band specific for KKW, rear sight is soldered on, NO sight hood.

Later features: Large "Mauser" banner, matte finish on bands, E/N, SN not on receiver, rear band is K98 band type, rear sight has a sleeve like a K98, sight hood present.

Other: "D.F." appears randomly on some barrels... unknown reason... Not all TD disks are large, milled Mauser type. The top rifle has a Sauer-like TD disk... bottom of receiver occasionally has initials like "MR" in small letters and the bolt cocking piece is also "MR" stamped? Wonder if these are the assembler initials??

Last: FWIW... I noticed the TD disk is set shallowly in the wood in the topside, and deeply on the bottom of the disk on all four of these examples.

I find it interesting that even with a total production of less than 6000 rifles, Mauser was still mixing it up during their KKW production.

·
Registered
304 Posts
MO KKW's

Thanks, Bob.

Nice post. Perhaps others with MO KKW's can post their observations as well. I will look over mine and will summarize later. Other than the matte finish, my early vs late follow yours in most of the features you wrote about.

-a.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts