Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen thse offered for sale and wondered if anyone had any experience using these. I know that different guns can have different trajectories at different ranges. How good are these? Saw one by Bushnell, which mentioned something about sighting in for scopes, but didn't mention ranges or anything. I'm more interested in adjusting iron sights, in particular new or replacement sights.

·
Copper Bullet member
951 Posts
Ive used a cheap one that cost about 35$ with arbors .17 thru .50 cal . just to get the bullets on the paper and then zero in from there. (used the laser in the basement at 30ft and shot at the range). It did OK with AR rifle.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,797 Posts
This is just my opinion:

As a bore sight tool, they are OK for adjusting windage. IMO, they are not good for adjusting elevation.

Keep in mind that the accuracy of the laser beam will depend on how well the shaft aligns with the laser beam, and how well the arbor fits the bore. A misaligned laser beam is worthless, while a loose arbor will allow the beam to angle downwards.

To check the shaft-beam alignment, fit the unit in the bore, and aim it across the room. Rotate the laser unit, and see if the beam wanders. If the beam remains steady, the laser is aligned with the shaft.

Also, the trajectory of the bullet is not LOS (line of sight), which is another reason why I would not try to use one to adjust elevation.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
I haven't used one, but the best you're going to be able to do is get it close. It might save you some ammo getting on paper but you're still going to have to shoot the rifle to make final adjustments. About the only reason I could see for using one is if you're sighting in with expensive hunting ammo or have one 20 round box and want to sight in and hunt a season without going to a second box to guarantee consistency.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I use one when I put a new scope on a rifle and have had pretty good results. Like the others said you still have to fine tune it at the range but when you are already on the paper it sure speeds up the process.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have one gun that has a rear peep sight I had to replace. I have yet another one coming that may need both front and rear sights adjusted. The, there's also the possibility of an eventual scope on another gun. I'm having to sleep on all of this but wanted some input and thanks to all who have chimed in here, or might chime in later.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the Bushnell bore sighter and it works great for setting up a new rig to get it on the paper as others have noted. The Bushnell is cheap but so is the switch on it. Take the batteries out if you dont want to replace them every time you want to use it. I guess I should complain to Bushnell because I am a little surprised they would make something with such a cheesy switch on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts