Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
During my visits at IWA, something like the Shot Show in the USA but held in Germany each year, there is always a company from India, who manufacture and sells copies of WW1 and WW2 German helmets including decals, liners and so on. From a distance you would not see the difference. I will have to look in my paperwork to find the company, they were offering swords, bayonets and such as well.
Nothing for the serious collector but perhaps for the re-enactment market.

A genuine WW2 German helmet complete in good condition are going for 500-1000 Euro's around here and the FJ helmet in the same condition even more.

Such high prices attracts fakers.

Prices for original WW2 US, British and Canadian helmets are also quitte stiff, but not as the WW2 German stuff is at the moment.

Best regards from The Netherlands,
Burts.

· Registered
46 Posts
The problem is that the German helmet forums are infiltrated by those painting and selling painted $300 helmets for $2500+. Anyone who goes against the tide of the bobblehead stampede to get fleeced gets hectored, hooted at, censored and banned. It's frankly surreal. The upside is that one that knows what original camos look like can sometimes sneak up on them and buy them for good prices as most forum "advanced collectors" don't really know what real ones look like. They're too busy comparing fakes to fakes ;)

Hambone you are absolutly right!

This forum contains a wealth in knowledge second to none, but the downside is that the information we, the sincere collectors, share between each other, is used by fakers.

Before the internet, information was found in books, perhaps some magazines, through collectors shops and among collector themselves.
I have collected in this way for years, and I still do.

Even in Holland, The Netherlands, a 2 hour drive to Germany, being close to the country of origine of WW2 stuff, and occupied by the German forces for 5 years, being US, British, Canadian, German and so on, it is very hard to find something original, being it a helmet, ammopouch, bayonet, rifle from that period, for a reasonable price!

After WW2, occupied countries like Germany and Austria, were given permission to install their own police force and border control force.
From the start it was made sure that the newly installed German police and border control could not use weapons and equipment used by the Germans in WW2.
So they were equipped with M1 carbines, FN 1910 pistols, Lee Enfield rifles, and so on. A quartermasters nightmare, a complete round-up of what was in the arsenal of the occupying forces.

But later on they used German WW2 helmets, the BGS, Bundes Grenz Schutz, German Border Control, used German WW2 FJ helmets, all kind of German WW2 equipment, that was inpounded by the occupying forces, was released to the newly made post-war German forces.

This equipment is, allthough re-issued after WW2, is just because it was issued again, and kept in working order, our biggest source at the moment
of WW2 German made equipment, available for the collector these days.

The German forces on the wrong side of the border, Russia occupied, were equipped with allmost only WW2 German equipment including, MP38, MP40,MG34,MG42 and so on, even their uniforms, boots, etc.
And that equipment was maintaned and kept in working order as well!
So after 1989, when both Germanies united, a huge quantity of those
weapons and equipment, even if it was kept on reserve, must survive
somehow! But where?

OK, I know, I need long sentences to tell a short story, ( my son tells me, and he shoots very well with surplus rifles ).

Let's keep the collector market clean from fakers and repro companies.

Best regards from The Netherlands.
Burts.

· Registered
46 Posts
East-block countries used a mixture of equipment after WW2, picture made in Yugoslavia around 1953.
Look at the mixture of US armour and German WW2 helmets, also the packpacks are quitte intresting.
Any can identify the rifles?

Best regards from The Netherlands.
Burts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.